Wreck of the Saskachewan (Nanaimo, BC)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimisurf

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have experience on this wreck? Possibly any advice on 2 dive plan on air, maps of wreck or diagrams?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Jimi

Hi, I done several dives on the Saskatchewan and Cape Breton, depending upon tides it's about 80ft to the top of the decks. Looking through my dive logs my depths ranged between 98 to 135'. We dropped to the bottom of the engine room on the Cape Breton which was at 135'. It hit the ground so hard that about 10' of the bottom is in the mud. I've used air and Nitrox blends up to 30%. Somewhere I have a map showing the decks of the Saskatchewan, if I can remember where I put it I can scan it and forward to you. There are several dive operator's in Nanaimo, I've used Ocean Explorers, but have heard good things about technically speaking. ( I like the boat TS uses over OE )

Hope that helps, let me know if theres anything I can help you with. The dives are awesome, theres quite a bit of growth on the Saskatchewan, the Cape Breton hasn't been down very long so not much growing on it.

Ron

I've dove the Saskatchewan and been on the Bretton prior to sinking.

I'll second the recomendation to use Ocean Explorers, great operators! Heading to Nanaimo in about 10hrs to dive with them again. if you're in town, we're diving 17-18-19. pretty sure it's just 2 of us on the boat, more then welcome to join.

there is a 3D rendering of the deck layout for the Saskatchewan, but I don't rmember where I saw it...

Willer

Thank you for the dive offer!! I live in Vancouver, but I'm over on the island next week on buisiness. I plan to dive with Technically Speaking on Next Saturday February 22. After looking around a bit on the web, I did find a layout map of the Sask.

Can either of you guys recall a highlight from your dives (on the outside, no penitration for me) that I should not miss?

Certianly if your in to diving on the Sask on the 22nd let me know, I think there is room on the boat that weekend too.

Thank You,

Jimi

It took me several dives to see all of the Sasketchewan, the guns on the deck look pretty neat. I swam away from the bow, turned around and faced the ship, it was very erie. Look for the plaque telling the specifics of the ship. Good place to take an picture if you have a camera. I've made around 8 visits to the Cape Breton I recommend diving it if you get a chance. Terry from OE took my buddy and I down a vertical shaft located near the heilodeck on the Cape, as you descend you can view the various levels of the decks. Have a great time, tell Terry and Ian hello.

Thanks ColdH20diving!!

You mention a "shaft" that you can drop into on the Cape. Can you briefly describe this shaft with respect to diameter and depth (length)? Do you belive that dropping into this shaft qualifies as "overhead" space? It sounds really interesting, but I'm not certified for penitration. I really have to do a Wreck Cert soon!!

Jimi

The shaft is not very wide, we had to drop down it single file. I wouldn't recommend doing it without the proper training. Terry from OE offered to take my dive buddy and I down the shaft . We reviewed the details at lunch one afternoon and then he led us down and back out. I wouldn't have done it the first time without him. If you see Terry ask him about it. Check out the engine room on the Breton, you can't miss it. The outside structure looks like a row of skylights. I'm sure you will enjoy diving the Sasketchewan and Cape Breton. Drop me a line when you get back, I want to hear how it went. Ron

Lets see do I have any experience on the Sask. heheh Yup When she was in Desron 4 I helped train MARS candidates for a few Months. there was this time in San francisco that 2 EW rates picked up this girl oh yeah cant go there here :)

Cherry

One external point of interest to look for on the Breton is where the hull buckled and cracked as it hit the bottom. Start from the bow, and swim along the Starbord side of the ship at the main deck level and just fore of the superstructure, and stay a few feet away from the hull. You'll see what the forces of gravity did to this huge ship.

Have a great trip!

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom