Oxycheq wing with Dive Rite Transpac for single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Winnerman

Contributor
Reaction score
I have decided on getting a Dive Rite Transpac after looking at all the other similar harnesses with out a true back plate. I will never dive doubles and most of the time dive without a suit. the Transpac is the perfect blend that I want, so do not want to open that up for discussion with true BP/w. The questions is which wing is best for the Transpac. I am seeking lift in the 30-35lb max range that is trimlined and must have a rear dump that is not a horseshoe. It must be circular or donut. I like to assend head first rapidly and utilize the rear dump to empty all air.

My choices so far

Dive Rite Travel Wing

Oxycheq Mach V signature- will need a single conversion as no slots for the tank bands. Not sure if it has a bottom dump.????

Oxycheq Bladdesless Standard- has slots for cam bands.

I also have a very old stainless steel tank band from an old style back plate from around 1975. Awesome as adjustable, no streatch and can thread thru a 2 " band slot. Wishing I had 2.

My goal is to be stable, easy complete air dumping, no taco, and the most streamlines.

Thoughts???????????????????

I like to assend head first rapidly and utilize the rear dump to empty all air.

First thought. Ascending rapidly sounds like a bad idea.

2nd thought. If you insist on making head first ascents you will need a different plan for dumping gas from your BC.

Tobin

My goal is to be stable, easy complete air dumping, no taco, and the most streamlines.

I hope you mean descending. Descending rapidly should not require dumping air on the way down. In fact depending on how deep you go, it will require just the opposite.

My thoughts are that from an equipment standpoint most of the products you are looking at are fine.

From a diving standpoint, you need to think a bit more, or take some more training. Ascending fast is death, descending fast is a great way to be hitting the bottom, finding out your air is off when you are too deep to help yourself, or screwing up your ears. And one does not need to dump air to descend once you start sinking, so it brings one to question your basic diving skills.

Oh, my goodness... that should teach you not to say you have no interested in a bp.

I have the Transpac with both the Travel and Venture wing. I sorta like the Venture better, but only because it's more narrow at the top. With the Travel wing, my nice standard length primary hose would catch the edge of it sometimes. Doesn't happen with the Venture.

My choices so far

Dive Rite Travel Wing

Oxycheq Mach V signature- will need a single conversion as no slots for the tank bands. Not sure if it has a bottom dump.????

Oxycheq Bladdesless Standard- has slots for cam bands.

I also have a very old stainless steel tank band from an old style back plate from around 1975. Awesome as adjustable, no streatch and can thread thru a 2 " band slot. Wishing I had 2.

If your ascending head 1st all the air will be at the top of the wing, so the rear dump won't release any air.

As to the rest, this might give you some thoughts.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/225344-going-dry-2.html

Speaking to the OP only:

The new versions of the Mach V have camband slots if you want to go without a STA.

I think you meant descend rapidly, Yes, the Mach V has a rear dump valve and it works great.

The Diverite or ScubaPro metal buckle cambands work very nice, as good as the old metal ones you mention.

You may wish to look at the bladderless 18 pound Mach V (I think it is). Sounds like your spearfishing to me?

N

Asking anyone who knows the answer.

How wide are the cam band slots on the Mk5.

Asking anyone who knows the answer.

How wide are the cam band slots on the Mk5.

about 2 1/4" apart.

The camband retainers on a Transpack are 5.5" apart. The slots on a Mk5 are about 2.25" apart. I assume your tanks diameter is between 5" & 8".

If you try to mount this system just using the cambands & assuming you can get the leverage to tighten it enough to make the tank stable, you'll rip the centre panel out of the Mk5.

According to Scott M, & I have no reason to doubt him, you can however mount a Mk5 to a Transpack by using an STA.

If you don't want to use an STA with a Mk5, an OMS 32lb wing is another that is compatible with the Transpack camband retainers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom