Cavern/Spring Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flyboy65

New
Reaction score
Hello! I am headed down to West Palm Beach on April 10 for a week of diving! We're going to dive until our computers explode! My last dive was in Lake Superior, just outside Duluth MN, on March 1, with 34 degree water temp. Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to not having to wear 36 lbs of weight in a Dry Suit!

We plan on going north and diving/camping somewhere that offers cavern and/or spring diving for two or three days. Perhaps as far as 5 hours from WPB area, if such a place exists...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, since I am geographically challenged when it comes to the state of Florida. I've seen many dive sites listed with names, amenities, etc, but have no idea where they are located.:D

Ginnie Springs is your best bet, they have springs/caverns and camping. I'm not sure if Manatee Springs has camping.

If you want to drive further, into the panhandle, there are more options.

Most Florida Springs are flooded with dark water and some are siphoning and dangerous as of now. Three Springs are not affected and have camping. Blue Spring, Orange City, Florida (a state park), Manatee Spring, Chiefland, FL (a state park), and Ginnie Springs, High Spring, FL (privately owned). Others near these places can be dived but don't offer camping, Paradice Springs, Ocala, FL (privately owned), Devils Den, Williston, FL, (privately owned), and Blue Grotto, Williston, FL (privately owned). All of these can be googled with maps and pricing. Of those listed above Blue Spring and Ginnie have open water diving at a reasonable price. Take a look at Florida Springs Home Page for additional info.

Manatee springs has camping and diving. Alexander also has both.. Out of both my pref would be Alexander,its about 80 miles closer, and there plenty of space between campsites so your not to cramped together.

Yes, but alexander is a 27 foot deep place....two or three days of diving there would get old, I'd think.

Ginnie has the ballroom, which is nice. You could camp here onen ight, then go to Manatee.

Manatee has both Catfish sink and the headspring, Manatee spring. The headspring has been closed due to manatees, but might be open now, I'm not certain. But Catfish has more to look at than alexander, in my opinion.

I'm thinking we'll find a spot to dive somewhere between WPBeach and Ginnie Springs, camp, or whatever, and then head to Ginnie for two days. My dive buddy has given me a great comprehensive book on dive sites all over Florida...it's almost like Frommer's, but someone else wrote it.

I'm thinkin' you all are so fortunate with your great weather and dive spots. I'm tellin' ya, it's time consuming and hard work cutting holes in the ice up here to dive in the winter!

Thanks for the ideas!

Check local conditions if you look to hit some of the spots in your buddies book, the weather in FL has caused some flooding in lots of springs within the northern part of the state.

Either Blue Springs in Orange City or Alexander Springs in Ocala National Forest will be good for something in between WPB and Ginnie Springs. Both have camping and diving. Neither place has fills, but if you have tanks and bring them pre filled, you will be good there. I do know of one place close to Blue Springs to get fills, but you need to set it up beforehand. Manatee is sorta in between, but is even farther from WPB and closer to Ginnie than either of the above. Blue Springs is probably the easiest to find, and most people would find it more interesting as well.

Thanks for the heads up SuperBugman...I hadn't thought of that, although I've heard about the weather that way...

Yup, scubafool, aren't we all? (Ya gotta love being underwater!) You have NO idea what it's like to be cold! We have to be fools to dive in some of the conditions we dive in up here, but it's all worth it, no doubt. Thanks so much for the info and suggestions. A book as a guide is nothing more than a book...personal experience is pretty valuable.

Three Springs are not affected and have camping. Blue Spring, Orange City, Florida (a state park), Manatee Spring, Chiefland, FL (a state park), and Ginnie Springs, High Spring, FL (privately owned). Others near these places can be dived but don't offer camping, Paradice Springs, Ocala, FL (privately owned), Devils Den, Williston, FL, (privately owned), and Blue Grotto, Williston, FL (privately owned).

Devil's Den does offer camping (and cabins) it's only about 2 miles from there to Blue Grotto. You also omitted Alexander Springs (state park diving=$6/day) which has camping and shallow (24 ft) diving.

From Alexander you can travel 1-2 hours to dive DD, BG, Paradise, and Blue.

As for air, there are 4 dive shops in Sanford (about 10 miles from Blue Springs) who offer various air fills. (except Gander Mt. which is air only).
You can stop on the way at Spruce Creek Scuba (right off the I-95 N) to get tanks filled.

There is a shop not too far from Alexander Sp named C&N Divers where you can get fills.
Ginnie, Devil's Den and Blue Grotto, all offer air only.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom