How to catch a delicious lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Cook

New
Reaction score
Can anyone get me started with tips on how to catch lobster by hand on the big island preferably Kona coast? This will be my second time to Kona but have only spear fished to date, I know you can't spear lobster in Hawaii.

Thanks,
Nick

I can't specifically comment on catching lobsters in Kona, but I can't imagine it's much different from local to local. The best way I have found is to get above and behind them and grab them by the carapace. Try to get your hands as close as possible on each side, wearing gloves, and go in for the kill. I don't use a tickle stick, but I have used my gun to goose them a little.
When all else fails, shoot them in the head and hope you don't get caught!!! (Just Joking) :D

Can anyone get me started with tips on how to catch lobster by hand on the big island preferably Kona coast? This will be my second time to Kona but have only spear fished to date, I know you can't spear lobster in Hawaii.

Thanks,
Nick

Kona, you lucky dog!!!

Nothing beats local knowlege and experience for the Ula (Spiny lobster), and Ula papapa (Slipper lobster). I would go with these guys:

Freediving and Spearfishing in the Pacific Islands | Blue Water Hunter/Deep Thought Wet Suits Kona, Hawaii

IMO they are one of the finest underwater hunting operations in the world.

Have fun and remember to post some pictures here when you get back!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom