Blue Springs Report 3/23/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastud16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So Scubafool, Litehedded, and InkDiver met at the gate around 9:15 AM this morning (I was a little late). We signed in, and drove to the parking lot to gear up. Scubafool and I geared up at the cars while LH and ID went down to the pavilion. We took our sweet time, and made our way down to the run. Quite a few people in the park today. These were also to be my first dives with my new BP/W.

On the first dive, flow seemed down since my last trip (last year), and we made it down to the sign pretty easily after an S-drill. We could not see even a single hint of light from LH and ID who were at the bottom, and only caught a glimpse of their lights when they were about 25 feet away from us. They stuck around with us in OW while I played with my weighting and trim. SF and I played around in some of the crevices, as much as we could with so little light. I thumbed the dive at 800 psi to check buoyancy near the surface with around 500 psi. Did a deep stop at 30', 3 minute safety stop at 10 feet (both practicing mask-off drills), and moved to a very shallow part of the basin for me to check weighting. 5 pounds was a little too much. Max depth of 62' with a run time of 50 minutes even.

We drifted the run back, and had a nice surface interval talking and eating, and entertaining the locals (they were very interested in our equipment; I was the only one diving single tanks, but we were all on 7' hoses and bungied octo's, etc.).

Second dive was after a surface interval of just over an hour. We geared up, I switched tanks, and we headed back to the water. This time we had to literally fight our way through a crowd of people to get into the water. Waded up to the basin and relaxed our back/shoulders from the long walk. Talked a bit, and descended. LH and ID went back into the cavern zone, while SF and I hung out in the OW zone again, playing with the flow. Mask off drills, S drills, buoyancy checks, etc. 4 lb's of weight this time, and absolutely perfect. Turned at 800 again, did another deep stop and safety stop. Floated down the run and almost went headfirst into a manatee (really low visability). We turned around immediately and pull-n-glided back up stream to go around them. The volunteer was pretty nice about it, kind of annoying. Told me that "we had to go around to the other ladder" about 6 times in a 30 second conversation. Max depth of 60' with another run time of 50 minutes. SF and I noticed that flowed seemed to increase considerably between the first and second dives. Anyone else heard of this?

All in all, a good day of diving. My first time in the water since early-December. I had a massive emergency abdominal surgery that kept me out of the water for several months. SF had been dry for about a month, ID and LH dive all the time (I wish). I was on 32%, and kept it real conservative.

Wish I had pics for everyone, but I can't even afford a reel for my cavern class, let alone a camera set up!

Danny

Yeah, it was a good day and good dives. Great way to spend my B-day. I wish we had brought food to grill, all the food around us was killing me.
Danny, I have a DiveRite primary reel, like new, if you want to use it until you can afford one. I can bring it to Blue Grotto on Saturday if you are going to be there.

Don

Don,

How come you didn't tell us it was your birthday! Happy belated birthday!

Food would have been nice, I'll think of that next time. Unfortunately I won't be at Blue Grotto, and I'm not sure when I'm going to have the time to take the cavern class, but I appreciate your kindness, and I'll be in touch for sure!

Danny

it was good times indeed
i had some issues with my reel on that second dive. so that was fun
i'm jealous of your bp/w

it was good times indeed
i had some issues with my reel on that second dive. so that was fun
i'm jealous of your bp/w
Where did you guys tie off at for that dive? I usually see a nice rock, but I couldn't find one there, ended up just tying off on the sign, which I usually don't like to do.... :popcorn:

there's a little outcropping on the left past the sign
then I did a secondary on a stick and ran it the rest of the way from there
the tie off points are few and far between!

What are the diving fees for Blue Springs?
I am going in the morning and want to make sure I have enough cash.

Thanks

A few UCF students are going sunday if anyone wants to join us. Inkdiver and Liteheadded are doing their intro to cave (lucky bastards!), and I'm diving dry for the first time, so I think this dive will be OW only, I don't want to silt out the place and ruin it for everyone else there on sunday because I'm learning a drysuit. PM me if you're interested and I can give ya my cell # to meet up. I'm thinking first dive around 1pm sounds good.

hmmm I may be game you want to meet a vab? its either this or the dive club might be doing venice (tho I have heard vis is crap)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom