BP/Harness Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am sure the answers to my questions exist in this forum, but after some searching I haven't found them. So if they do, let me apologize in advance!

After some reading here I have decided to go with a BP/Harness/Wing setup as my first rig. Probably the biggest, most important question I have is: In selecting between AL and SS backplate one has to consider the weight. Is it considered bad practice to dive with a SS backplate if that means you have no user-releasable weights? I know a buoyant ascent is bad, but it always nice to have that option.

There are lots of manufacturers out there, so the whole setup gets a little confusing. Should you get the backplate and harness from the same manufacturer?

Ok, now lets start with what I would consider the easier part... the backplate. Is there one backplate manufacturer that stands out above the rest? I really like the looks of the OMS Backplate. The cam bands and single tank options look nice. The Dive Rite Backplate also looks good. What features should one look for when purchasing a backplate? What are the benefits of a long plate?

Ok, and now time for the hardest part... the harness. I have read a lot of people saying that they prefer the simple hog harnesses over the deluxe/adjustable/padded harnesses. What are the pro's and con's of a simple hog harness vs. a deluxe/adjustable harness? Honestly the Transplate Harness, OMS Comfort Harness II, Hollis Elite, and the Oxycheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness System all look really nice to me. But then again there may be some major drawbacks to this setup that I am unaware of.

I think I will save wing selection for another post.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Sam

I am sure the answers to my questions exist in this forum, but after some searching I haven't found them. So if they do, let me apologize in advance!

After some reading here I have decided to go with a BP/Harness/Wing setup as my first rig. Probably the biggest, most important question I have is: In selecting between AL and SS backplate one has to consider the weight.[/QUOTE]

Plate material is a function of required ballast, and trim weighting. Being overweighted in any BC is not recommended. you have not provided enough information about your application, i.e. exposure suits and tanks, for me to make a recommendation.

There are lots of manufacturers out there, so the whole setup gets a little confusing. Should you get the backplate and harness from the same manufacturer?

If you want to "direct mount" i.e. avoid using a STA I would suggest sourcing your wing and plate from a single source. Mix and match is certainly possible, but you may not get all the benefits of a system designed to work together. The analogy I like is a PC, sure you can buy your own motherboard, processor, case, power supply video card etc, but today you will probably pay more, and get less than buying a complete machine. The guys who know enough to do so don't need to even ask the question.

What features should one look for when purchasing a backplate? What are the benefits of a long plate?

If you need a long plate they are a benefit, if you don't, you don't. How tall are you?

Ok, and now time for the hardest part... the harness.

Short answer: Buy a simple harness. Hogarthian Harnesses are NOT difficult to use. They are different, but a little practice overcomes that quickly.

Tobin

As for weighting... that is a tough question. Right now I live in Maine and plan on doing a fair amount of traveling. So I will experience water from the 50's (or maybe even colder) all the way up into the 80's. So I will either have to buy/rent multiple/different exposure suits depending on where I will be. I would assume the SS backplate would be very good for cold water diving where the diver uses a thicker suit... So I guess it comes down to: What is overall more versatile, an AL or SS backplate?

Alright... I really haven't looked too deeply into wings yet. I know I want the inflater to be left of center, but other than that I haven't considered it too carefully.

I am 6'0" tall. I would assume I do not need a long backplate.

Alright, so if I get a simple Hogarthian harness then what other add-ons should I look for? I would imagine a pocket or two, maybe some user-releasable weights, straps to hold the inflater/octo/gauges...

Thanks Tobin!

1. Aren't the inflators always on the left?:confused:

I just bought the OMS AL plate, its looks to be made well, all the holes, slots are baby smooth, should wear easy on the straps, It also fits the mach V wing perfectly, you don't have to burn a hole in the hog harness to access the screw holes. BTW the standard OMS plate is plenty big for me I'm 6'2"

The basic hog harness is very comfortable as is, IMHO I think having a deluxe version with a strap that goes across my chest would ruin an already easy to wear harness

I have the same issue as you for plate material- I went with AL for 3 reasons, 1. Lighter for travel, 2. Its what you'd use If I chose to move to doubles, 3. I could justifiy spending an extra $100 for steel just to gain 3.5 lbs of weight when they make all sorts of weight pockets that can be attached to the plate/Straps that can accomplish the same thing.

Yeah, I am thinking AL is the right choice for me too. Assuming that weighting isn't a real issue anyway.

Right now I am trying to decide between OMS, Dive Rite, Zeagle, and Deep Sea Supply. I like the grommets in the DSS - that seems like a good idea.

Hollis and Halcyon also have similar setups. The choices are endless. I guess I need to just pick one and start figuring what else I need for it. For the time being I will probably just get a weight belt, eventually trading up for weight pockets.

It would be so much less confusing just to buy a jacket style BC :p

I have Rig for cold water which means more weight to compensate for a thicker wetsuit. I purchased on sale from LeisurePro and SCUBAToys. Just under $700.
Dive Rite TransPlate, SS BP, STA, Lumbar Pad, SS tank cam straps, 2" Crotch Strap
OMS small pockets
Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 40lb

Hammerhead has a SS BP that is less expensive. Check the Hammerhead site for a complete BP/Harness set-up.
The STA may not be needed and can be purchased later.

I use a steel HP100 or HP130 Tank.

I have no extra weight on my Rig. My Rig is set-up so I can remove it and freedive without having to remove weight from my belt. I need the left shoulder release for easy removal (kayaking). And I got the STA for extra weight when diving and also stability when hiking so it doesn't shift causing me to work harder to keep my balance when hiking down cliffs.

I use a foldable BC for travel. But a smaller BP with harness could be used - just switch the wing.

What is hammerhead?

Hammerhead Scuba - Hammerhead II Backplate

I am told the STA needs to be finished which would require a few hours of sanding and polishing with sandpaper and a Dremel tool. But if I had to do it over again I may go with them on the BP and harness due to cost. Dive Rite has a very well thought out, well engineered high quality product, but expensive. The Oxycheq Wing alone was just under $300, but it is probably the best on the market for single tank use and streamline. See SCUBAToys for 10% forum member discounts and gift certificates for posting.

It's not particularly difficult to add weight to a lighter system, but it is quite difficult to take off weight if the plate alone is too negative for what you need. I used to travel with my SS plate, which required 2 lbs more with an Al80 and my 3 mil wetsuit, but nowadays, I take my DSS Kydex plate and add 6. It's not hard; I have the XS Scuba weight pockets on my cambands.

In asking the question whether you need to have user releasable weights, you need to think about the circumstances in which you would need that option. Basically, you won't ever need it if your wing will hold any air (and even in the event of a pretty good rip in it, you can almost always still get it to hold air somewhere). There may be some circumstances in which being able to ditch weight at the surface is a good idea, but if you are using weight pockets on the cambands, your buddy should be able to ditch those for you in those exceptional circumstances.

You could posit a situation where you've torn your wing almost in two at the deepest part of your dive, when your wet suit is maximally compressed (or you tear your wing at the same time your dry suit completely floods) and your HP 130 is completely full, and you could end up negative enough to be in trouble. If that idea worries you, carry redundant buoyancy in the form of a lift bag, or keep your buddy close by.

TSandM that is a good point about weights. The DSS backplates seem really nice, but ultra expensive.

Do any of you have any experience with Deepoutdoors products? I can't find a place online that sells their stuff.

Not sure how you select a backplate! They all seem so similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom