Anyone using Oxy wing on DSS plate (single tank)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering a DSS SS BP and Oxy Mach V wing for use with single tanks.
Do you need a STA in this setup?
What do you have to do to separate plate and wing?
Do you like your setup?

Thanks!

I've got an OxyCheq 30# Mach V and dive it with a DSS kydex plate. Great combination! I also use an OxyCheq lightweight STA, 2 Halcyon weight pockets on the upper camband and 2 weight pockets on the waist strap. Quite streamlined and no weight belt needed.

I've got an OxyCheq 30# Mach V and dive it with a DSS kydex plate. Great combination! I also use an OxyCheq lightweight STA, 2 Halcyon weight pockets on the upper camband and 2 weight pockets on the waist strap. Quite streamlined and no weight belt needed.
That sounds cool. Are these weight pockets ditchable?

That sounds cool. Are these weight pockets ditchable?

I'd consider the waist strap ones to be ditchable. Currently, I have a pair of DiveRite ditchable weight pockets on my waist strap but since I only need 2# in each, due to their size, they're overkill, so I'll be replacing them with the same Halcyon pockets as on my camband. Basically they're a ditchable pocket within a pocket that can hold up to 8# each, I believe.

Here's a link to the Halcyon weight pockets. Personally, I'd consider them ditchable. I'd rather replace a hunk o' lead than my Dive Rite *ditchable* pocket. :wink:

The Halcyons are a bit pricey though. I like them because they're the only small pocket I've found with a buckle (and velcro). XS Scuba makes a small pocket for much less but velcro only.

i would strongly consider you look at the DSS Torus 26 wing instead. Its just as small, very well made and mounts to the BP with no STA needed, which is great when traveling and assembling/disassembling at the end of the day. it doesn't wiggle at all when mounted to the tank. i also recommend the DSS single tank straps with their compressible rubber mounts. makes a huge difference in getting a secure fit on the tank.

i also was going back and forth about the mach 30 based on all i read here and am glad i went with the Torus 26. I'm sure you'll be happy either way -- at the end of the day it's about the diver more than the equipment...

A.

Dive rite definitely has (or had) a small pocket with both velcro and a clip. I have one somewhere. I think I paid about $15 for it.

Dive rite definitely has (or had) a small pocket with both velcro and a clip. I have one somewhere. I think I paid about $15 for it.
I wonder if "had" is the operative word... I googled around a bit and couldn't find anything comparable in size to the Halcyon.

I believe they do in fact make Mk5 wings with camband slots & wobble stoppers.

The distance between the upper & lower camband slots on a SS DSS BP is 6".
Anyone know the distance between the upper & lower camband slots on a Mk 5.

The new Mach V's do have cam slots and do not need STA's if your BP has slots.

don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom