Winter Diving Blows - I'm so bummed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just got the call I dread.

Yet another dive boat calling me moments ago, telling me yet another dive trip is cancelled due to weather.

That's 5 since November.

FIVE

Are you kidding me? :fury: This is unreal. This is So Cal - we don't have weather here.

I finally get my wife and I outfitted in drysuits to extend our season (so we can actually, oh, I dunno, DIVE from November to May) and more trips we have booked have been cancelled than have actually gone out. So the dive trip we've been planning for a month (since I decided to take off work and join her day off...she's a Teacher) ain't happening. Again. AAUUGGHHHH Of course, when the actually go out its been nice. Fewer crowds, usually more hard-core divers, etc. This blows.

:banging:

I know the drill - I'd rather stay in than go out and be unsafe, etc, blah blah blah. Whatever - Is this what I've been missing by not diving in the Fall and Winter? No thanks - you can keep it. Its too depressing getting your gear together, planning and planning only to get the call a few hours before you're to board and get your gut kicked in.

This stinks. I can't tell you how much this stinks. Nice investment - glad I bought a drysuit to extend. At this rate I may as well have stayed with my POS 7mm.

OK - I'm done. I'm taking this over the top...but this hurts. Plus, I already have half a Bonine in me... :snore: I better break out a 'gar to counteract the sleepy's I get from those things.

So I still play hookey from work tomorrow and spend a day with wifie on land. We'll drive up the coast to SB - it'll be beautiful, it'll be fun. There are worse ways to spend a day not working than with my best friend. But there are also better - like Diving.

I'm fumin'

K

LOL!

Why not dive a lake with Momma? I live in North Central Washington State-read that as desert country! Fresh water lakes don't have the life in them like the ocean but hey-you're diving!

Pete

quit yer *****n:wink: You can come up here and dive.....just bring your trusty chain saw...we have had ice since the middle of November and it is now close to 3 ft thick in many spots :wacko: From the looks of things it may be June before we get in....;-0

I feel your pain.......:upset:

Ya know...I have absolutely NO sympathy for you. Sorry :)

I live in central wisconsin. I just bought my drysuit as well. I will be going diving this weekend. To do so, I will be cutting through 20+ inches of ice with a chainsaw to reach water that is cold enough to hurt. When I get out of the water from my dives this weekend, I will have friends pouring warm water on my dry suit zipper to melt the ice that has formed in the 30 seconds from me reaching the surface to me getting over to my vehicle.

I have no sympathy.

I try to live with an attitude of gratitude - there is nothing like So Cal livin, for sure. I was caught up in a moment of "poor me" that I didn't bother to edit because I believe transparancy is better...plus I literally recieved that call during another post...

I read it again this morning... what a baby :D Too funny.

Thanks for kindly slapping me around a bit. I just need to become more proficient at shore diving...we do have plenty of free, accessible, available shore line here on the left coast.

You guys are too funny. Chain Saws... yeah right. The closest thing to trees we have are palm trees, and the closest thing to ice we have is Tastee Freeze. Speaking of which, its gonna be chilly today. The forecast says it may only reach 71....

cheers

K

Butch103 once bubbled...
quit yer *****n:wink: You can come up here and dive.....just bring your trusty chain saw...we have had ice since the middle of November and it is now close to 3 ft thick in many spots :wacko: From the looks of things it may be June before we get in....;-0

I feel your pain.......:upset:

This from the guy who's going to Barbados in about 10 more sleeps!!!!!!!!!

:mean:

bottom_sucker once bubbled...

This from the guy who's going to Barbados in about 10 more sleeps!!!!!!!!!

:mean:

such a whinner if you ask me! Heheheh -- sorry Butch, got to rub it in, I'm envious as I know what you're heading to.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I.

You guys are too funny. Chain Saws... yeah right. The closest thing to trees we have are palm trees, and the closest thing to ice we have is Tastee Freeze. Speaking of which, its gonna be chilly today. The forecast says it may only reach 71....

;-0

From those of us on the frozen east side of the country. STUFF IT!!!:wink:

Our shore diving isn't as good as your kelp forest, but our water warms up enough to do a skin or 3mill suit. Come on out to the southeast. We'll get you into the Florida springs. Weather rarely knocks us out of a dive there.

Take care.:D

Actually, ice diving is pretty cool. During the summer around here, the algae production really kicks up and makes a lot of our lakes into murky pits. During the winter, the clarity of the water is outstanding, sometimes around 100ft or so. So it's pretty nice :)

And Mo2vation, I wasn't trying to be harsh on ya - I would be just as mad and bummed out if my dives were cancelled too. In a way I'm kind of lucky as most of my diving is shore diving so rarely does bad weather ruin a day of diving for me.

;-0 your little hearts out.........:wink: :D cause I am headin south........But I promise I'll bring home pics........and Bottom_Sucker, maybe we'll head that way again next year........Oh and maybe I'll bring back a little Bajan.................sand

Back
Top Bottom