When will the Gulf be Wetsuit diveable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakespear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This year I got a new job and I now have weekends off (after working every weekend since 1999)

So I am about to buy my own equipment and hit the water running.

When will the water be warm enough?

I plan on doing some FL spring dives and a few AL shore dives before trying some of the places out in the gulf to dive.

What mm wetsuit will I need?

thanks!

Right now I'm in a 5 m. Give it another month and I'm in a 3m. By the end of May I'm in a shorty. I'm a wimp.

This year I got a new job and I now have weekends off (after working every weekend since 1999)

I plan on doing some FL spring dives and a few AL shore dives before trying some of the places out in the gulf to dive.

thanks!

Some of us dive it all year round in a wetsuit. Of course the wetsuit thickness may vary from 3 to 8 mil.

There are lots of past threads about Florida and Alabama shore dives, as well as the springs. Right now many of the springs are flooded and closed, but I know at least Ginnie, Jackson Blue and Manatee are open, as well as some others and some lesser well knowns. I am not sure if you are interested in caves, caverns or open water with regard to the springs. Temps are always 68 to 72 in the springs though. Many people dive them wet.

The northern Gulf is always warm enough to dive wet :p

At present time, the Gulf is just a tad colder than panhandle springs(68F).

I dive my 3 mill shorty in gulf all year.... good portion in Atl off St. Aug spearin...
I have a little natural insulation though.... My buddies laugh cause I dive the sprins in my shorty or help conduct classes. But gulf is no prob.

The question is what is your comfort level. For us that dive springs year round, we are pretty accustomed to the water being a little chilly. I am headed down to Jupiter this weekend and will wear my 5-4-3 Mares. In April I will be at the panhandle and will dive my double 3/3 for 6ml of protection. The best thing you can do to keep your heat in is wear a good hood along with whatever thickness of wetsuit you decide. Good luck!

Carolyn:sharks:

Why should I care? My DiveRite 905 is comfortable year around and it is less than a half mil thick.

thanks!

I dove my trusty 7mm on Tuesday. It was too much suit for the conditions! I'm diving a 3mm tomorrow.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom