Travelling with weights??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaywu

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off I wanted to say hi! I just got my C-card a few months back, and Im currently planning a trip to the Caymans! Cant wait!

Anyways, I wanted to know how most people deal w/ weights while travelling? Do you normally rent them or somthing... or do you just consider it part of your gear and pack it like everything else?

To me, it seems kinda silly to waste some of your allotted baggage weight on actual weights.

Thanks!
-Jason

Just rent them from the place you're getting your air fills/tanks.

They are usually included with the cylinders when resort-type diving.

Also remember its not just about the weight. Its also the fact that its lead and not X-ray friendly and will probably get you searched, and that can be a huge hassle.

I think most people just rent. I have seen some cases where the weights for rent are already kind of picked through when I get there, so you may end up having to go a little heavier than you need, or without trim weights.

If you do bring weights, bring them as carry on (they don't weigh carry ons) and put the weight bag under the seat. A buddy of mine recently did this for a trip we went on and it was fine...and that was enough weight for cold water diving. He had them in their own bag. He got through security fine. I was the one who got stopped and swabbed for bomb residue (I just had ankle weights in the pocket of one bag).

If you need ankle weights, then bring those. You might also think about taking some smaller weights in case all they have available are 5lb weights....so you are not bringing all the weight you need, but maybe two or four 2lb-ers or something like that.

I prefer to wear a rubber weight belt, so I would put weight pockets on the belt so I can use soft or hard weights.

I bring a couple 1 pound weights that I use for trim -- rental shops and boats don't normally have 1 pounders (even 2 pound weights tend to grow feet and walk off of boats inside trim pockets, so not all boats have any 2 pound weights left.)

The bulk of the weight I pick up on the boat or rental shop. Not everyone always has soft weights, but hard weights work well in my SeaQuest BCD.

As a rule of thumb, anybody that provides tanks will also have weights.

The actual weights will be provided/rented along with cylinders. We always bring our weight belts or harness however. You don't want to count on the resort to have a belt/buckle/keepers to your liking.

Pete

I bring my own single tank adapter with it's integrated 6 pound weight. It's no problem because we check the weight of our baggage with a commercial scale before leaving town.
If we have too much we put it in the carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom