St.John's ... how would You rate it ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gorcio

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

can anybody with more or less recent experience in diving St.John's let me know, what is really the quality of diving it ? I mean colours, life, and in general all scenery to take some shots or footage ? Been to north, and loved it ... now, I stand a choice of St.Johns vs diving Oman ... tough choice, according to some articles read on this board.
So, how was it ? Was it really great ? Spectacular ? Extraordinary ? Or .. just good dives ?

what about quantity of underwater life there ? Seen some movies on Youtube, not really impressing :-(. Any chance for a bigger stuff in October ?

Well, seeing sharks is one thing, but I am rather into seeing a lot of life, especially for taking some photos. Shark, whale shark, or a manta is an added value, and of course welcome, but it is rather schools of fish, barracudas, napoleons etc - any chance for a quantity of those ? Turtles ?

We did see sharks, turtles and dolphins on our liveaboard trip there in 2005.

Been to St Johns last summer. I can't say it was amazing at all. Actually, along the 10-day route (Ras Mohammed- Elphinstone- St Johns) the best site was... Ras Mohammed!

By far better than any other site we passed in this long route. Especially the abundance of fish which was simply said- uncomparable by far.

I am not sure why- been in southern routes also in the past and it was much better. I can only attribute what I've seen last summer in St Johns as a combination of overfishing and too hot water (although Ras Mo was also very hot and still abundant).

Unfortunately, seen fishing boats almost everywhere along the southern route. I don't know which areas are supposed to be nature reserve- if at all...

I would rate St Johns (again, as it was last summer-can be different now) as a "6", Elphinstone was something like a "7-8", RasMo gets a "9" only because it can always get better over there :wink:

It is difficult to beat RasMo on a bad day, and almost impossible when it is in a good day. There are just too many sights that put the words out of your mouth with the single thought "this is what I am diving for" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom