Key Colony Beach Rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

totallyreel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I would let everyone know of a terrific weekly/monthly rental in Key Colony Beach, FL. We have stayed here several times; the rental is in immaculate condition, you have access the the pool just down the road, close to grocery stores and the dock in the back can take you to the Gulf or the Atlantic in no time.

If you are looking for a great place to stay this is it, the master bedroom is very large and has a huge bathroom with a garden tub and separate shower. This is a great rental to take the entire family or just a bunch of buddies.

Here is a link to the site it is on. http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/31727.html

I have stayed there before as well, enjoyed it very much. The problem that did arise was that we arrived on Sat., we rented tanks and a boat from the marina, went diving and when surfacing there was a strong wind which didn't quit all week (Oct. time frame). We weren't able to dive Sun., Mon., Tues., Wed., then on Thurs. we found one dive shop in Key Largo that would take us out....in 10 footers. My wife and I made it to the bottom fine but nobody followed as there were four other divers on the boat (deep ball dive). After our dive we surfaced to find all the other divers were sick on the boat, but we still made one more (short) dive in heavey current. Friday we had to take off from diving as we were leaving early Sat. morning. This can be a problem in the Keys, you have to watch the time of year when you go. We have never gone back to dive. We use our vacation dollars to go to places where we'll be able to dive all week, like Cayman, Bonaire, Aruba, Turks&Caicos, Bahamas...ect.

Key Colony Beach is a nice place to stay, I've rented a house there several times. It can be an economical alternative to hotel rooms esp. when you consider the extra comfort and amenities. It's far enough from the main highway that you don't hear the traffic but it's close to many things. There's a little pitch and putt (literally, take nothing but a pitching wedge and a putter) you can play for free.

I would have to say the Cabana Club sucks, though. They open late and close early, forget about sunsets by the pool or evening swims. They have lots of pesky rules and pretty much don't let kids play, i.e. no pool floats, no toys in pool, no games like marco polo, no balls. And definitely no bringing in your own food or drink, they want you to buy their overpriced concession food and beverages. You're better off paying a bit more for one of the homes in KCB with private pools.

You do need to watch the weather, we have been down different years in the month of December - some years are great, others were just as bad as a hurricane - just cant count on Mother Nature all the time. We have also been down in the July/August time frame, I believe that is when the diving is best.

I just wish I owned a place down there myself - I would be a permanent resident if I had my way.

quick update: If you want a better rate than the one listed in the website, PM me and I can get you in touch with the owner of the unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom