H2O Below trip report 3/25 &3/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Oriskany Trip Report 3/25 & Pete’s Tide 3/26

Tuesday 3/25/08

The trip to the Oriskany was bumpy with the seas being 2-3 feet. While out on the dive the seas calmed and trip back was pleasant with 1-2 foot seas. The vis was better than expected on Tuesday – the wind had been kicking on Monday – but even with that the vis was 50 feet. The water temp is still 68 but the air temp was damn cold!

An observation about what marine life we are seeing on and around the Oriskany. We have seen several (more than ten) Portuguese Man O War out there. This is strange to me because I’ve lived here all my life and only seen a couple. Now in one season we seem to be noticing them most trips. A couple of weeks ago I was diving another wreck miles from the Oriskany and saw a Man O War right behind the swim platform of Gary’s Gulf Diver’s Cat-n-around. Strange I think. So everybody be aware that they are out there and watch for them. Dangerous mother’s – they are!

Thanks Ken and the group from Ohio for coming down. Hope you enjoyed the great food and cold beer at McGuires.

Wednesday 3/26/08

Today’s trip to Pete’s Tide was better traveling with the seas being a little less bumpy. The water temp was still 68 and the air temp was still DAMN cold! We did have the hot chocolate and hot coffees onboard and those really helped. The vis however went to he!! overnight and was a concerning 10 feet. The sun has come out and the air temps should be warming for the weekend.

We have trips scheduled for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this week. If you are interested in going and have not yet scheduled call MBT at 850-455-7702 . The weather is improving by the day and the diving is just getting better.

Man-O-War seem to be kinda seasonal. I've noticed litterally hundreds wash up on the beach every year every year for the last 15 years :)

Definately something to watch out for, one of my best buddies has scars on his back from a Man-O-War that he jumped into 20 years previously. He nearly died.

Man-O-War seem to be kinda seasonal. I've noticed litterally hundreds wash up on the beach every year every year for the last 15 years :)

Definately something to watch out for, one of my best buddies has scars on his back from a Man-O-War that he jumped into 20 years previously. He nearly died.

I think they actually get worse toward summer and into fall. Last year I went in May and did not see one man o war. Two months later, I had a friend get stung over 100 times. Apparently they were hanging out at safety stop depth, so on the way down is one thing, but on the way back up... while you are waiting/stopping/decoing....:shakehead:

Anyone have any ideas for a ecologically sound jellyfish repellent?:crafty:

I think they actually get worse toward summer and into fall. Last year I went in May and did not see one man o war. Two months later, I had a friend get stung over 100 times. Apparently they were hanging out at safety stop depth, so on the way down is one thing, but on the way back up... while you are waiting/stopping/decoing....:shakehead:

Anyone have any ideas for a ecologically sound jellyfish repellent?:crafty:

I think You are talking about Sea Nettles(spelling) Man O Wars hang out on the surface and look like a plastic bag.

Igt was my pleasure, I did enjoy, and will have to come back for another visit to see some more of that massive ship.

Biggest wreck I've dove in Huron is a 500 ft freighter. It does not compare to the O!

Ken

Oriskany Trip Report 3/25 & Pete’s Tide 3/26

Tuesday 3/25/08

The trip to the Oriskany was bumpy with the seas being 2-3 feet. While out on the dive the seas calmed and trip back was pleasant with 1-2 foot seas. The vis was better than expected on Tuesday – the wind had been kicking on Monday – but even with that the vis was 50 feet. The water temp is still 68 but the air temp was damn cold!

An observation about what marine life we are seeing on and around the Oriskany. We have seen several (more than ten) Portuguese Man O War out there. This is strange to me because I’ve lived here all my life and only seen a couple. Now in one season we seem to be noticing them most trips. A couple of weeks ago I was diving another wreck miles from the Oriskany and saw a Man O War right behind the swim platform of Gary’s Gulf Diver’s Cat-n-around. Strange I think. So everybody be aware that they are out there and watch for them. Dangerous mother’s – they are!

Thanks Ken and the group from Ohio for coming down. Hope you enjoyed the great food and cold beer at McGuires.

Wednesday 3/26/08

Today’s trip to Pete’s Tide was better traveling with the seas being a little less bumpy. The water temp was still 68 and the air temp was still DAMN cold! We did have the hot chocolate and hot coffees onboard and those really helped. The vis however went to he!! overnight and was a concerning 10 feet. The sun has come out and the air temps should be warming for the weekend.

We have trips scheduled for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this week. If you are interested in going and have not yet scheduled call MBT at 850-455-7702 . The weather is improving by the day and the diving is just getting better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom