Ummmmm.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditch-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is there a course to become a dork diver or do I just have to 'come out'??

The Mantra in the sticky pretty much describes me to a "T", plus a few add-ons.

I pretty much flood my mask once a dive because I laugh at something underwater....

I'm a champion at "tank rodeo" (getting perfectly buoyant and hanging onto your buddies tank valve and let him/her pull you along for 8 seconds without them noticing....,

After a long diving career and lots of diving I'm perfectly happy in 30' of water watching critters scamper along...

Oh yeah..., I have one bright purple fin...., and one bright lime green fin. (It is a great story that ends with a purple/green drysuit to match my fins)

So.., how do I know if I'm a :dork2: or nothing but a wannabe???

Let me be the first to say, welcome to the club.

I think the Lime Green and purple fins make you a member automaticly.:dork2:

lime green and purple fins... heck that almost makes anyone who SEES you a dork diver too.

Thanks for the great welcome.., I won't let you down

And now.., for the rest of the story.....

Eight or nine years ago I was setting up some open water checkouts for a class, and a good friend of mine who owned the LDS was helping me out. I had lime green fins for a while, mostly because we were diving in Northern Newfoundland (35 degree water) and everyone tended to look the same in their wet/dry suits, so I wore the fins so the candidates would know who the boss was.

I wanted a 25' decent line, so rather than swim the weight out, I left my fins on shore and walked the weight and line out until I was 25', out it down and came up to the float. I called for Scott to send my fins with the first group, and he grabbed two fins, one of mine and one of his.., the exact same brand, only different colours.

I ended up using them for the day, never swapping his and my original one back.., and kind of liked it. At the course end party, we were talking about swapping back but ended up with ordering new drysuits to match the fins. Mine is left arm purple, right arm green, left side of hood green, right side purple, a green mask and purple snorkel, and Scott's is the mirror image.

People seemed to like the look and we always get looks and comments on a dive site. A great ice breaker. Here's a pic of my 16 year old daughter wearing them last week..., she thought they highlighted the pink ankle weights. A future Dork-diver in the making...... ~sniff~ I'm so proud

Attachments

• heading out1.jpg
    heading out1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 90
:rofl3::dork2::rofl3:

You don"t need the DORK cert course,your story give you a instant cert.:D
pink and lime fins,pink ankle weight,man you MUST be one of use :lotsalove:

Welcome to DORKNESS :dork2:

Either that or a Drazi. :)

Someone else watches B-5. With the green and purple, wouldn't she be at war with her self?

I am realy revealing my dorkieness now. :dork2:

Someone else watches B-5. With the green and purple, wouldn't she be at war with her self?
Actually, no. Take what was shown in "The Geometry of Shadows". When Ivanova took a sash from a purple Drazi and placed in on a green Drazi, and immediately fighting broke out, however, the double-sashed Drazi didn't seem to be in conflict with himself. He seemed more taken aback, actually. (When Ivanova wears the sashes of both green leader and purple leader, that's different, as those are the leader sashes.)

Anyway, it's all a moot point, anyway. The conflict occurs every five years (I'm assuming Drazi years, as it was not specified) and lasts for one Drazi year, which was specified as being equal to 1.2 earth years. As "Geometry" was the third episode of season two, the events in it almost certainly fell within the first month a half of 2259. Given a start of conflict in January to mid-February 2259, we can carry that back to determine that the most recent conflict would have started at the beginning of 2007 and ended in the last month and a half or so (at least to what precision we have).

So, with the latest conflict ended, would green and purple fins be acceptable? In "The Ragged Edge", halfway through 2262...
There's one other reconciliation visible in this episode that I don't know if anyone watching has ever noticed. When the Drazi makes his appearance in scene fifty, he's wearing a purple and green sash. This was a subtle reference to the Drazi wars seen years earlier in Babylon 5. My assumption was that the Drazi flag, and most Drazi official insignia, contained both purple and green elements. Even the police lights are purple and green. When the time comes for the Drazi to war against each other, the purple and green flags are put away to be replaced by purple flags and green flags, purple sashes and green sashes. Then, when the war's done, bang, they go back to purple and green again.

I just figured folks looking on might like to know that the Drazi was back home was over, and that they were getting along as well as the Drazi can ever get along with one another, which is not terribly well. But random acts of disorder are always better than when they get organized and efficient about it.
(Incidentally, if you have *any* interest in Babylon 5, science fiction, television in general, scriptwriting, how studios work, or just about anything related to it, I *implore* you to go to http://www.babylon5scripts.com/ in the next 90 days or so. You can order the entire collection of jms script books, which come with all the scripts he wrote and a *ton* of astoundingly cool information. In a few months, however, they will go out of print, and they will never be printed again (we have jms' word on that, and that's better than gold to me, at least). I'm tempted to get a second copy to hand down. :wink:)

I am realy revealing my dorkieness now. :dork2:
Um... I guess *I'd* better not comment, eh? :rofl3:

(At least I didn't do this all from memory. I had to pull my script books *and* use the Lurker's Guide.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom