Need Some Help Please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I need some help in the Wichita, Kansas area please. I am planning on taking my kids (youngest being 25) to Hawaii in September. My daughter and son in law live in the Wichita area. They called me last night and decided that they wanted to get their certifications so that they can dive with me and "Captain" Jonathan :bounce: on Maui.

We are trying to locate a good instructor in that area. Not really concerned which agency, but I do want a good instructor for them.

Does anyone know who we might contact?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

before getting to Hawaii. That is what we did, we did the class and the confined water dives in NJ, and then headed to Thailand to finish up. Saved time on the vacation.

Warhammers page talks about some dive operations in Hawaii, and he did some research on dive spots/operators. Look for one of his replies, the link is on the bottom.

Thanks Mattie,

Your suggestion of starting stateside and finishing up when we arrive on Maui was one we are considering but I am hoping that they will complete their confined dives as well as the OW dives prior to our departure. they still have a little over 2 months to do so.

I have read Warhammers reports from when he was over in Hawaii also and are quite complete. Accordingly, I have also been doing research as well as picking other brains :bonk: and have decided on Lahaina divers for the ops I will mainly work with, except when I rendevous with Jonathan.

I appreciate your feedback, enjoy the weekend and happy diving, I am off to Catalina.

Me don't know anybody in Wichita. Have a cousin in Kansas City, but she don't count. :)

DocV, seems to be wellllll traveled, probably even been to Wichita, maybe he could help.

Personally, if it were me, I'd want to get the course out of the way prior to going to Hawaii. Which I think is what you were saying. Anyway, as you know from my report, I dove with Ed's and Extended Horizons while on Maui. Of those 2 I'd pick Ed's, if I were returning and if I wanted instruction. But I didn't take any classes from them so I'd hesitate to recommend them for that. I've heard good things about Lahaina Divers and meant to dive with them on my trip. But things got turned around and we cruised for a week instead of staying on Maui the whole time, so I didn't get a chance to dive with them.

Warhammer, I respect your opinion on matters. I have read your report and you are quite right about Ed Robinson's and Extended Horizons. It was a hard choice to make everyone has their pros and cons with different people, so you basically weigh all information, throw it in a hat and go with your gut.

getting certified prior is the best way of going without a doubt (gives you more playtime in the big pool).

anyway, thanks again, hope we can get a dive trip organized for everyone to meet each other sometime soon.

Going to go out early tomorrow and get in some dives so have a good one and don't let your wetsuit get dry.

My wetsuit is all dried out, unfortunately. Haven't been wet in 2 weeks, but I'm headed south next weekend to do just that.

Have a great time in Hawaii and be sure to check out the "off limits to rental car" roads around the coastline. There are some absolutely stunning views there.

Last year we did the road to Hana and went around the "backside". Wow! Big mistake that was. Outstanding sights but need a 4 wheeler to navigate the roads, lol.

I just returned from Maui last weekend and I would go to Lahaina Dive Shop again next trip there. I did not go on any of their dives but found the dive shop to be most helpful and I suspect their dive trips are really good also.
I rented tanks there and purchased a few odds and ends that I needed. I also, got some good advise from the store on diving spots. Very happy with that organization. You should do well to go with them.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom