Sony Hd With Stingray Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JADE41796

New
Reaction score
HEY GUYS I HAVE BEEN DOING SOME RESEARCH AND WAS RECOMMENDED TO SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY TO LOOK AT THE LIGHT AND MOTION STNRAY WICH IS COMPATABLE WITH MOST SONY Camcorders and fusture ones as well. i looked at the sr5 which seems affordable as well.

High Definition Handycam® Camcorder HDR-SR5 799.00

Light & Motion Stingray HD for Sony High Definition Cameras 1899.00

would you all recommend this combo.

1. would i need anything ealse.

2. how would this adjust for different models and is installing the camcorder easy.

3. how is the battery life. one charge equals 4 hours???

thanks
larry

I would go with the HC7 why better camera not so much more! I have a stingray and it is very good! As was the one before that I used to have!

Battery life on the camcorder battery? If you're doing more than two dives, I'd suggest getting the NP-FH100. I bought the NP-FH70 because the package states it is for the HC-7 and is rated at 6.5 hours (not up to 6.5 hours). Nonsense... I was only getting 2.5 hours on it with the FH70. However, make sure the FH100 will fit inside the housing before you big that big boy.

In my experience the HC-7 is not a great low light performer. You'll need some pretty good HID lights. Mine are just 10x + 10w and they don't provide enough light or an even enough coverage (should be diffused more, but then the light intensity would drop even lower).

That is why I suggested the HC7! That being said in California there is an implied warranty law that states "A product sold for an indented use must work for that use or the buy is entitled to a full refund or replacement of the product" so I would send them a registered letter and then consider small claims court if you had to, but I think they will make it right if approached properly! Good luck to all! I use them because their products are the best!

And DrBill is right about the light issue, that is a problem with all one chip cameras!

That is why I suggested the HC7! That being said in California there is an implied warranty law that states "A product sold for an indented use must work for that use or the buy is entitled to a full refund or replacement of the product" so I would send them a registered letter and then consider small claims court if you had to, but I think they will make it right if approached properly! Good luck to all! I use them because their products are the best!

And DrBill is right about the light issue, that is a problem with all one chip cameras!

I used to live in Ca. and don't remember that law. Wish I did. Personally, I would not buy from a vendor if their product was rushed through the doors and didn't work. Going to court is such a hassle, when the vendor should have done the right thing in the first place. Personally, I am no fan of L & M. Their nickel & dime approach to everything is a bad way of doing business.

After spending thousands of dollars on systems, a small courtesy like making sure connections, work or "we'll have a look at it" without having slick salesmen work you up a repair quote would be appreciated. The last time I dealt with them was getting battery uprgrades....we don't have any, but we can source them for you at an exorbitant markup. Great. I sourced the batteries elsewhere for 1/3 the cost. No one likes getting worked.

I will say that their engineering is pretty darn good, but they do need to work on their PR/Sales perspective.

X

p.s. sorry for the rant. I will have something productive to say shortly as we test some super HID's in relatively dark water water with a one-chipper.

Jade41796, can you give a little more info on what your needs and expectations are ? I've noticed you've been up and down on your budgets and cameras. From an $800 Bonica to $2700 for a Stingray/SR5.

Is there some video out there that you have seen and expect to match picture wise ?

If so, if you could post a link to that video, we can help direct you to what equipment it will take to get there.

If you haven't, I encourage you to spend some time on youtube, vimeo or even on this board watching some uw video. You'll see some great video, some so-so video and plenty in between. Depending on your expectations you may can spend less or need more $$ than you originally planned.

HVR-A1U? If so I have an HDR-HC1 (same camera less XLR audio) so here's some options: (priced low to high)

Ikelite - HD HC-1 Sony VIDEO HOUSING
Ocean Images HC Series - Ocean Images Underwater Digital Video Camera Housings - Sony - HC-1, PC-110, PC-100
L&M Stingray HD - Stingray HD / Sony Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Camera Housing, Light & Motion, Light and Motion
Gates - Gates Underwater Housings - HC3 Housing - although this link if for the HC3, they did make an HC1/AIU housing. Note the photo caption...
Amphico EVO HD Elite - AMPHIBICO - Underwater Imaging Equipment
L&M Bluefin - Bluefin HC9 and HC7 / Sony HDR-HC9 & HDR-HC7 Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Camera Housing, Light & Motion, Light and Motion

There's others, but these made my short list.

Note: the L&M Stingray HD [-]and the Amphibico EVO[/-] (later edit: Paul's right, I was thinking of the HC1 EVO, not the A1U EVO) don't allow for Manual White Balance in their control set. And every housing that does, uses a mechanical control to touch the LCD screen, even the electronic models.

fwiw, I shoot an EVO and really like the ease of use and the handling...

HVR-A1U? If so I have an HDR-HC1 (same camera less XLR audio) so here's some options: (priced low to high)

Ikelite - HD HC-1 Sony VIDEO HOUSING
Ocean Images HC Series - Ocean Images Underwater Digital Video Camera Housings - Sony - HC-1, PC-110, PC-100
L&M Stingray HD - Stingray HD / Sony Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Camera Housing, Light & Motion, Light and Motion
Gates - Gates Underwater Housings - HC3 Housing - although this link if for the HC3, they did make an HC1/AIU housing. Note the photo caption...
Amphico EVO HD Elite - AMPHIBICO - Underwater Imaging Equipment
L&M Bluefin - Bluefin HC9 and HC7 / Sony HDR-HC9 & HDR-HC7 Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Camera Housing, Light & Motion, Light and Motion

There's others, but these made my short list.

Note: the L&M Stingray HD and the Amphibico EVO don't allow for Manual White Balance in their control set. And every housing that does, uses a mechanical control to touch the LCD screen, even the electronic models.

fwiw, I shoot an EVO and really like the ease of use and the handling...

A small correction if you don't mind, Amphibico EVO HD for A1U has a mechanical control for white balance. At B&H they sell them for $2300 with monitor back and 0.55 wide angle lens.
Hope this helps.
Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom