Band Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Winnerman

Contributor
Reaction score
I am fairly new to the sport with only 1 season of experience. I have started to attempt to making my own bands-mainly for fun and save a couple of bucks. I have a Biller 48" and a Biller 32". I am using the original wishbones from Biller tieing them off with a constrictor knot and using a shrink ring to cover the waxed string for tieing.

Any other suggestions to improve this method is very much welcomed. I do have a couple of questions if you can give me a hand.

1. Difference in black and amber rubber? Biller uses a balck coting over an amber band.

2. How important is it to bevel the bands? I have tried, but mind never come out looking very pretty.

3. Where are the grouper hiding around the Dunedin/Tarpon Springs area??????lol

Thanks in advance for any help. Feel free to offer some good numbers for this area as well..lol

1. Difference in black and amber rubber? Biller uses a balck coting over an amber band.

There are a ton of different rubber materials. Mori in CA has done extensive testing on many types and has a huge database table listing the results, and here is a link to it. I wish it was simple to say "black coating" is better than Amber, is better than solid black, etc, etc. I tie my own bands also and it's very important to maintain consistency. Overpowering your bands by either material changes or shortening them can really mess up the accuracy of your shots and you may start missing fish. You want consistency and to change your bands at the very first sign of hairline cracks around the wishbone.
Mori's database
Rubber Test6

2. How important is it to bevel the bands? I have tried, but mind never come out looking very pretty.

Beveling (combined with soap/lube) allows you to slide the bands thru the band hole easier. I don't do it. Just lube them really well and stretch them through the hole. Some guys don't tie their bands until threaded and already on the gun.

3. Where are the grouper hiding around the Dunedin/Tarpon Springs area??????lol

At the grocery story, everyone knows that!

Back
Top Bottom