Where to go in FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burnsie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
If I wanted to plan a week long trip that allowed diving for freshly certified OW divers as well as some interesting diving for seasoned divers, where in FL would you recommend?

Thanks ahead of time,

Burnsie

Pompano or Key Largo have the best mix of both wrecks and reefs...

And if you want better reefs for a day or two, from Pompano its a short drive up to Boynton, West Palm, or Jupiter....

Depends on what you want to do. Freshwater spring diving is fairly cheap and offers you a wide range of sites all within easy driving distance. If you're looking for saltwater diving, the Keys is probably your best option, there's a good number of shallow reefs to visit, along with some deeper wrecks for the more experienced but you're talking a significantly longer drive and diving expense.

Key Largo. You've got reefs that are 25ft deep for the new divers that offer cool stuff for the experienced diver as well. Saw my first bull shark there at French Reef back in January. Cool dives for both.

1. Molasses Reef - Offers up some large grouper, schools of cudas, etc. Haven't been impressed with the macro there but for schools of fish its tough to beat.
2. French Reef - Same kind of things as Molasses.
3. Wreck of the Benwood - With the deep end at about 50ft the Benwood can be accessed by all skill levels. Offers up some larger schools of permit, jacks and don't forget to look under the hull for a large grouper and lobster. Lots of little nooks and crannys to investigate small stuff.
4. Christ of the Abyss - This is a statue of Christ. It is a great dive or snorkel. Its in 25ft of water, makes a great photograph and is accessible to even snorkellers.
5. Pennekamp State Park - Pennekamp isn't the best dive operator and I've had a couple of experiences I'd rather forget but the park is a great place to visit if you've never been. They have a roped off snorkel area with a 17th century spanish galleon sunk right there. The only real thing left are the canons and anchor but still pretty cool. Great place for small kids to dink around. The only positive about the dive op is they have the largest boats and are easy to find amongst the armada of boats when you surface. They also have a cool canoe maze through the mangroves that's a lot of fun.

I second the Keys. I love that place for diving. But anywhere up and down the East Coast is nice, starting in Jupiter on down (I'm actually diving out of Jupiter this Sunday and at last report, it was top to bottom viz at the reefs). If you can manage the Keys, do it, but you won't be disappointed if you head further north either. It's easy drift diving.

Happy diving and good luck. :)

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have been down to the keys before and that's what we were leaning towards again. We are all a bunch of wreck junkies and are gonna have some OW students tagging along, so we're trying to make everyone happy. Thanks again for the input.

Burnsie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom