Pensacola/Ft. Walton Beach: Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyhimd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be visiting the Pensacola area 4/16-21. Any suggestions for dive operator; expected water temps, vis, conditions; must-dive sites (besides the "O") etc. would be most appreciated.

To date, we have ONLY dove in the Caribbean, mostly Mexico. Will I be in for culture shock? I know the question is usually the opposite! I'm already noticing tanks seem to be diver-supplied items. Any other local tips? Thanks, all.

I'll be visiting the Pensacola area 4/16-21. Any suggestions for dive operator; expected water temps, vis, conditions; must-dive sites (besides the "O") etc. would be most appreciated.

To date, we have ONLY dove in the Caribbean, mostly Mexico. Will I be in for culture shock? I know the question is usually the opposite! I'm already noticing tanks seem to be diver-supplied items. Any other local tips? Thanks, all.

You have good timing for the Spring-SpringFest at Vortex. There is a thread on this board (below) that can give you all the info. Some of us are planning on diving at Jackson Blue, Vortex Springs and Cypress Springs during that time.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...th-20th-08-a.html?highlight=spring+springfest

I suggest MBT in Pensecola, Emerold Coast Scuba and ScubaTech in Destin are both excellent.

Yes, you will be in for culture shock, diving the Gulf is often rougher, colder, less viz, more rugged and usually or at least often strong surface currents and long boat rides to some sites like the O.

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

N

Surface temps will likely be in the 70s by then. Vis will vary nearly day to day. There are several good ops in Pensacola, what kind of boat do you preffer to go out on(6Pack or cattleboat?).

Lots of good artificial wrecks(and a few natural ones), some small natural reefs, and lots of other types of artificial reefs(bridge rubble, ect).

I usually have good dives on the following two sites. Of Course, if you are going on a charter, you are more at the mercy of the Captain and Dive Master on the boat but the area has good people.

1. Pete Tide II (This ship was sunk as an artificial reef in 1993. Depths range from 60-102 feet and large schools of fish frequent the area)

2. Russian Freighter (This 315 foot long merchant steamer was hit by torpedoes form a U-boat in 1942 then towed to area and sunk)

On a side note…if you are thinking of diving the “O” bring your dive log. Some shops are making you show you are at least Advance Open Water Cert.

Being a Dive Master myself, I don’t blame them. On the O, you are on your own to watch your depths!

It is an AWESOME DIVE though!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom