Oriskany - What's up 3_29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well spring is here! :D There were several of us on the Oriskany Saturday. The fishermen were also out in force as the air temp was around 78. It was very foggy on the way out but once we got to wreck, the sun came out, the shirts came off and we actually got some good sun. The ride out was not bad with 1-3 slow rollers. Perfectly fine on a big boat like the H2OBelow.

Onboard the H2OBelow we had a great group from a Dive Shop in Fort Walton Beach. Thanks Dawn and Mike for the wonderful day. Several folks from Canada – just stopping by on their way home from the Bahamas. We also had two rebreather guys from Dallas Texas who come over here to dive about once a month. Hope they bring the scooters next time :eyebrow:– Lobster! Lobster! We need Lobster! They are in the sand! 212 feet down!

And I have a new BFF and sometime visitor to Scubaboard – Wedon from New Orleans. Dude! Come back I need to dive with you! We will take tons of pictures! :D

The water temp was a little unusual with a weird thermocline – surface was 66, about 45 feet was 63 and 70 feet and below was 68 degrees. The vis was pea soup on the surface until you got to about 50 feet then it cleared to vis of 50 feet. Okay, I don’t know my marine biology but here is what somebody said. The south wind that we have had over the past couple of days blew in the clear water and pushed up the bad water to the surface. Or something like that. Truthfully I was only half listening. It was Rich the DM talking and sometimes my mind goes on it’s own personal holiday in the middle of the complicated explanations. If somebody has a better explanation please post.

It was a great day – left the dock at 8:20 back by 3:20. Lots of happy divers in between.

Note to all regular divers on the Oriskany – (DMs etc) The monofilament is building up on the wreck. Rich, Josh and I are trying to keep it cut away and the hooks taken off but we need everybody’s help. It only takes a minute to cut this crap into pieces and bring it up. Thanks ya’ll – Keep the Oriskany Clean!

Thanks...I'll definitely be back to dive with ya.......Probably in a few weeks. I'll also send the pics I've got as soon as I download them.

Back
Top Bottom