Sudan beginning of June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

My plans about diving in Sudan were postponed.
I wonder whether a trip end of May/beginning of June makes sense if I want to see hammerheads?
Or better go somewhere else?
How about sea conditions around May/June?
Trips are also offered down South. What to expect?

Yours,
Liberty

End of may should be good. Usually very hot in the air though, you'd want to be in an AC ship. You will still have hammerheads there, but the temperature is up a bit in the water, so you will be more dependent on currents to get them up in ther shallows. Sea is calm, normally, at this time. There can be south winds later during summer and sometimes haboobs, which is sandstorms and rain in a horrible mix coming from the maninland. Normally this occurs during late june/july and to the south, but I once experienced it on Sanganeb - very surreal and viz went down dramatically.
The south is a large area consisting of the North and South Suakin Archipelago. Lots of reefs and small islands jutting up from 200-400 meters. There has regularly (but not that often) been trips arranged to the North Suakins. There are some very nice spots there (Nakkalat El Queseer, Protector Reef, Jibna Shoal, Hindi Gider), but perhaps no Sha'ab Rumi.
The south Suakin Islands have been very little dived, and I have no personal experience from this area. Only a few trips have been arranged here since the 1980's. It is a hard-to-visit-area with no real safe over night anchoring possibilities. Extremely weather dependent and it puts a lot of extra stress on captain and crew compared to the northern itineraries. It has also been harder to obtain permissions to visit this area. But there are a few spots that certainly have a reputation as some of the best diving spots in the Red Sea.

good luck

Thank you, Christian.
I guess, I should bring a 3mm suit only for that trip.
It might be problably getting into first half of June. Do you need to get more into the current to see the big stuff then?
Cheers,
Liberty

Your welcome Liberty, you will probably find a lot of people diving in shortys and even in lycra-skins or T-shirts at that time of year. Water will be 28,29+ Celcius...
You will always be dependent on current for the best shark action, any time of year. It is just a bit more pronounced as the water gets warmer... Better chances of mantas and mobula rays than earlier in spring.

I found out that there are vacancies on a 2-week-trip on the Royal Emperor (starting 24t of May), thus plenty of time on the reefs like Abington.
Can you comment on the boat for safety and quality of the dive guides?
I need some good briefing about currents...
I guess, Don Questo might be very hot around this time.

Cheers,
Liberty

Well, that is the only current offer, classic route without Angarosh, starting 31.5.2008.
Any comments?

Cheers,
Liberty

I've not been on the Royal Emperor since Yasser owned her and she sailed Egyptian waters, but at that time she was top of the line. Don't know about her crew and captain or how she is run nowadays, but she's definetely one of the better boats. Sounds like a great trip. DQ is not as comfortable, and particularly not at that time of year. Don't think you need to worry about currents... Good luck!

/c

The Royal Emperor offer is a two-week trip, apparently combining North and South. Wobder whether the South is worth it.
Strangely, one operator told me the trip was full, while another optioned a space for me there...
Where did you book?
How deep do you dive in Sudan? Someone told me, in June you had to go deeper to see the hammerheads etc. I would not like to go deeper than 40m...
What is your experience?
Cheers,
Liberty

Back
Top Bottom