Shore dives in the Myrtle Beach area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrtlebeachbums

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,
My dive buddy and I are looking for info on shore dives in the Myrtle Beach area. We've heard rumors of coral heads off of Murrel's Inlet. Is there anyone out there that can give us some tips for diving around here? We'd like to get some dives in without having to shell out the bucks on a boat charter.

Any tips before Tuesday would be appreciated. We were going to try diving today but the water looked too rough. Maybe Tuesday which is supposed to be nicest day this week.

Thanks,
- Dave

You will not find any coral heads off of Murrells inlet. The bottom is nothing but sand on the inshore side out to 3nm Reef.
If you dont want to charter your best bet would be to dive the Murrells inlet Jetties on the incoming tide. North side. You can walk down from a beach access (1mile) or rent a boat from a marina and go in. the current will run pretty heavy on the outgoing tide.
I suggest 2-3 hrs before peak high tide.
Surfside Beach at the holiday inn has a patch of live bottom. some coral growth there. Right off the Holidday INN surfside. 100-150 yards out. Again on the incoming tide.
Vis will be be 5ft or less on both. Surfside is a beach entry so make sure your tank is secure to your BCD or you will fight a losing tank before you start.
That section of beach (surfside) also got beach renourishment so the viz might be less.

You have to get offshore in our area to get to the better viz.

Hope this helps
Scuba Express @Express Watersports

Back
Top Bottom