Thinking Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afraser31

Reaction score
Hey fellow divers-
I have a question about diving solo vs. buddy diving? I've read a couple of articles in some of the best Dive Magazines such as Sport Diver, PADI sponsor magazine. There were several pros and cons from some of the authors about diving solo. For example, no worries about putting yourself in a arkward position when it come to buddy diving. That is, when another fellow diver loses control or fear of something that he or she is not train to do. You come to assist that fellow diver and come to face to face that he or she is grabbing, choking, fighting with you. therefore, it puts you in a terrible position. So it sounds to me that it seems to be o.k. to dive solo only if I had extensive experience. Any arguments?
afraser31

Were you asleep during your classes? The number one reason for diving with a buddy is safety. You check their gear and condition and they check yours. What if you are the person who gets in trouble? Who are you going to look to for help if you are alone?

But the other side is that your buddy can point out sights you might miss while diving. From what I have experienced in my few dives the diving community is very friendly and fun to be with. And after your dives you can sit on the surface and discuss the neat and unusual things you have seen below.

The more the merrier in my book. Safety and enhanced experience.

No, I didn't exactly fall asleep in the classroom.. You're right about safety issue since it's really important to emphasize all of the safety check with my equipments. I need more dive buddies here in Northern California. Thanks for your replies. Good diving and be safe!
afraser31

Check this link from a previous post. It has some good info on the pros and cons of solo diving. I have read the article that is mentioned and I tend to agree with the standpoint that with training and experience solo diving should be acceptable.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1861

Tom

IMHO The least amount of safety is provided by a newly certified diver or a diver with little experience. Anyone can get an unconscious diver to the surface with little self risk. A paniced(sp) diver either underwater or at the surface can and will kill you. Been there done that with a swimmer. Buddy diving is safer if both dive together frequently and practice what to do if various situations arise. Diving solo eliminates the risk of another diver doing you harm but it does increase your risk since there is no help other than what you can do for yourself. Never under estimate the terror that can arise when a person can not breathe. Never under estimate the strength of a paniced(sp)person.

Thanks jbd! I'll take that as an excellent information I've gathered. Yeeeeeoooo, any mermaids or mermanes wanna join me?
afraser31

I dive solo, that is completely solo with no other humans let alone divers in the area, some times. Mainly because I can't find a buddy to dive with. But only in areas that I'm very familiar with and I stay pretty shallow. Other times I accompany groups as a solo diver, but you aren't diving completely solo when you do that. Chances are that if you got into trouble there would be another diver within site of you who could/would assist you. At any rate, you have to be very alert of your surroundings and your gauges. In the end, only you can decide if it's for you or not. I look at it sorta like I do professions. There are dangerless jobs and very dangerous jobs, only you can decide how much risk you're willing to take.

Thanks a lot, Warhammer! Thought I let you know I appreciate your thoughful opinions. It's a tough one (decision) to let go when you can find a depenable dive buddy in your or my areas. That considering the risks involve in the world of diving. I'll alway will dive smart!! Again, thanks!
afraser31

I go lobster diving with two other divers.
visibility is usualy 10 to 15 feet here(massachussetts but its been 30 to 40 this year so far :) )We have found it very hard to lobster and stay together so we split up in the water! I usualy go under 40 feet at most!
i think i have about 500+ dives like this in last 14 years.
If i go with new or divers who want to buddy i do.
dont have a problem with either. I quess its up to your comfort level!
my 2 cents Rick L

So what's wrong with diving solo? I have done it many times, but within my own limitations. There's a point where a well trained and experienced buddy is a necessity, such as penetrating a wreck. Furthermore, how many times has an instructor or divemaster/con lead customers or taught a class of students?? They by many counts are diving solo. I do believe that solo diving can be accomplished in a responsible manner, but it is not something to take lightly as life can be lost doing it improperly. Experience and equipment configuration are the key factors. I am in agreement with Warhammer in that people have to judge how much risk are they willing to take. I am happy to see that the industry is looking hard at solo diving and that many are proponents of it. People have been doing solo diving for decades, but only now has it been scrutinized.

Dive smart and be safe :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom