Report from 3/29 Ivans Reef & 50-50 tug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We left the Sportsmans Marina at 8am on our dive trip planed to the site we call Ivan's Reef, it consist of bridge spans of the old I-10 bridge that once crossed Pensacola Bay before Hurricane Ivantook a big part of it down. The sky was heavy with fog and it got thicker as we went.
Arrived at Ivan's Reef with topside vis at about 1/4 mile and John the DM splashed over the side to tie the down line into the site.
He returned to the surface with a report of 20 foot of vis. not bad considering the wind we have had through out the winter.
The dive to 75 foot lasted 28 minuets with water temp at 65ish and all divers reported lots of fish on this site.
For our hour and a half surface interval we slowly motered a mile south to the 50-50 Tug.
Arrived at the 50-50 Tug and John splashed tied in and came up with a report of better vis close to 30 feet. With this dive to 80 foot lasting close to 30 minuets divers reported a Great dive with lots of red snapper.
Over all a Great day on the water despite the fog that hung around until we got back to shore.

Pulled this from the Market Place post hope You don't mind S&V

Capt Gary, DM John, Mike/Vickie/Brenda/Chris from Bloomington, MN and I made the trip today to Ivan's Reef and the 50-50 Tug - I believe that's what Gary called it.
Wind was down, no whitecaps, swells were slow rollers at maybe 2-3 ft. Low clouds and fog stayed on us the whole time, air temps maybe 68-70 deg, water temp at the surface 68 deg, 64 deg at 75 ft according to my Gekko.
Ivan's Reef area vis was around 20 ft. No current but we stayed pretty close to the upline. Lots of snapper from 40 ft on down. John saw a big grouper. MN divers thought the vis was fine and the water practically tropical - I guess after 38 deg Great Lakes it is. We did 28 mins at 73 ft max.
On the 50-50 tug, John tied us in, and came up saying he wished he had a speargun. Snapper and amberjack everywhere, practically mobbing us. This is a compact site, good vertical structure, easy to swim around a few times. Vis maybe 25-30 ft. We got a little cold and called it at 21 mins, max 83 ft.
Thanks again Gary and John for a good day diving!

Sounds like you guys had alotta fun. I got wet this weekend, but only while trying to paddle my fat butt up on some really small sloppy surf.

Sounds like you guys had alotta fun. I got wet this weekend, but only while trying to paddle my fat butt up on some really small sloppy surf.

Mat,
When You gona get over here and get your DM then You can support Your habit:D

Pulled this from the Market Place post hope You don't mind S&V

Gary, don't mind at all, looks like we got the topic surrounded...
OBTW, I forgot to mention that the 50-50 tug makes a nice 2nd dive, even at 80 ft, due to being pretty easy to take a couple laps around it with lots to look at in a 20-25 min dive.
I have to give max credit to DM John for being able to find that site - I know you put him right over it, but still, in that vis... he said he followed the fish down to it.

Sounds like a great day!! Wish I could have joined y'all!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom