Zeagle Brigade vs. Oceanic Excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harb99

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am trying to decide between the Zeagle Brigade/Ranger and an Oceanic Excursion - both are very similar in price except for the additional that I might have to spend on the brigade for the rear trim pockets and possibly the weight pocket thingy's since I would probably be using small weights tropical diving.

What are everyone's thoughts on the 2? I am not really wanting to start another BP/W vs BC discussion, but would like to know what people like or dislike about each of the BC's I have listed.

Thanks in advance.

Harb

zeagle is my choice of gear, excellent equipment that you can use as your diving style develops and i love the weight system on the zeagle

i think you would be hard pressed to find someone that went from a zeagle to a oceanic but i know alot of divers that have moved on from an oceanic after a year or so of diving

cheers

Have the Zeagle Brigade for 2 years now. Best BC I have ever owned in 26 years of diving. Great quality and very comfortable!

Love my Ranger. The Ranger/Brigade has rear trim pockets. The yellow weight pouches aren't really needed. Can use something else. I asked my dive shop about the pouches and he just threw them in at no charge. Yours may do the same. Some people use plastic bags instead. Its just to keep them from sliding around.

I love that the Ranger is modular in that the shoulder harness can be a different size than the waist. I ordered mine that way. Should cost the same since Zeagle intended for it. Makes it semi custom fit. After different rentals of different sizes, my anger fits like a glove designed just for me. Very reassuring. Feels very durable too. Love seeing a show about the sinking of the Oriskany and all the USN divers working on it using the Ranger. The Ranger bladder is a bit large for tropical diving which makes the Brigade a better option.

I tried both of them on and they actually both adjust very well and are very well made. I think I like the excursion bladder better and the zeagle fit. I have to be honest and say that after looking at these, the knighthawk, balance, and DUI delta, I have just decided to do the BP/W. The back inflate BC's are all very nice and if one fits really well, go for it. With a drysuit and my other gear, for me, the BP just ends up being easier. But, I did like the other gear and would have tried one if this didn't fit me the best. I did like a 10 LDS marathon in Seattle and Portland because I work in both places and I have touched enough gear to die from it. Got in some pools. I would do the same if you have time.

Look at the warranties between the two. I'm pretty certain the Oceanic will say two years. Zeagle ... lifetime. Add that to their customer service, excellent construction, modular fit, etc., and in my mind it's no contest. Zeagle is in a different class.

My wife and I both have the Excursion because the fit on both of us was perfect. We love it and it fits our needs as new divers. At 9 lbs it helps with the airline travel weight restrictions too. The fact that is only has one little pocket on it also keeps my lovely pack rat wife from filling it with a lot of unnecessary stuff when diving. We use it for both warm and cold water diving.

Now, having said that, look at your future growth plans. The Ranger has a lot more built-in "growth" options than the Excursion. Here's a line on Zeagle's website: "the Ranger is a system you won't outgrow." (They need to use spellchecker on that website though!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom