question: Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just a girl

Reaction score
Question about Malta:
With a group of friends I would like to do the 'Open Water' course in Malta. Who can give me some information about diving with 'diveshackscuba' (from the fun adventure team) in Sliema. What are your experiences?
Thanks!
Just a girl.......

Hello

I don't have any experience with the particular dive outfit you've mentioned but Malta is probably a good choice for an OW course.

I went to Gozo last year and the travel literature I received before the trip mentioned you need a medical in order to dive. I don't know where you live but in the UK, it costs about £65 with your GP to do a dive medical. If you wait until you are in Malta to get your medical, it is a lot cheaper (ranging from £3 to £8) and most dive shops can arrange it easily.

Enjoy diving

Hi,
yes, can tell, worked there. Don´t do it.
I worked there 3 summers. The first summer it was great. I was a newly certified instructor and the owner taught me so much.
The second summer I went there the shop was bought by the people who own it now. It had changed a lot. There were many language students who did not understand enough English to teach them properly. Groups where huge (theorie lessons up to 30 people). Organization was lacking. Some examples: We had to pick up people from 4 different hotels in two different cities at the same time and took the blame when we were not (surprise) on time. In the first week at least three high pressure hoses blew. But the instructors were nice and somehow we managed to do most things safely and to satisfaction for the clients and us. So, next summer I had only 6 weeks to go abroad, and chose to go there again. Bad decision.
The third summer was just a mess. Courses are done as fast as possible (but without standard violation) (several Open Water Courses were supposed to be done in 3 days), not the nicest and best fitting dives were done but those which were at places quick to reach. Groups were mixed with very experienced divers and beginners.
On my last working day they told me to take 8 (!) discover scuba divers (no PADI course), which I refused. I divided them in two groups, but that meant I was told off and had no lunch break. I left after 3 weeks (and definitely waited to long).
Of course, the last time I was there was 2 years ago, maybe it has completely changed???

Oh, forgot:
The Maltese "Medical" means some questions, a stethoscope on (!) your T-shirt (which means the doctor can hear as much as nothing) and a quick view into your eyes. But yes, it´s cheap.

When I was living in Malta (summer season 2001) Diveshack wasn't high on my list of places to recommend.

I'd suggest forgetting Sliema and heading up the coast to Bugibba. There are several good quality shops there. I'd recommend Subway Scuba, Maltaqua, or Strand.

As others have stated, a cursory medical exam is required. The cost was 3Lm (about $7 USD) when I was there.

Hi there, like others said Maltaqua has high rates. I never dove with them but I heard a lot about them. I'm doing a trimix course in May / June at Strand in St Paul's bay.

On the on the other hand Ray from Aqua Bubbles treated us very well. He's got an English and a Canadian instructor and others as well. http://www.digigate.net/sportdiving/default.htm
They also fill nitrox there too and their prices were very reasonable. I found it very Convenient because there are two tug boats just on the other side of the bay, a WW2 bomber about a km away from the shop and close enough to the largest wreck in Malta <>600ft long Um el faroud.

As far Strand diving school, I cannot comment because I never dealt with them.

The medical is a must to dive in Malta. Some doctors will take the interest to do a proper test including lung capacity, X rays, etc. Mine was like that. Others are more short and sweet. They are not usually expensive. It is to your benefit to check your physique before you jump in.

Cheers

Lawrence

Thanks all of you!

This information is very helpful to me. I will try and contact the other diveschools you have mentioned and will choose one of them.

The fact is, I will be a tourleader for a group (just for this occasion, it's volantary, not my job), and most of the people want to do the Open Water course. I would really like to offer them the best!

Our hotel in Sliema is allready booked. How long will a transfer take to St. Paul's bay?

About the medical exam: is it enough to let the people of my group take a medical exam with their doctor here in Holland and take that with us, or are we supposed to do that on Malta?

Thanks again!

Just a girl

their are actually two exams involved, in your case, though I might be wrong. First, the prospective students will need an exam in order to take the course. Then they will need a second from a Maltese doctor for a permit to dive in Maltese waters. Best thing to do would be check with the school you plan to dive with.

Have fun in Malta! That's on my list for this summer, but first off to Bali for three weeks where I will take my Open Water course.

Hi,
one medical, Maltese or Dutch does not matter, is enough to be allowed to do the OWD-Course AND dive afterwards.
Another recommendation for a school: Dive Deep Blue in Bugibba http://www.digigate.net/deepblue/
Nice, competent and enthusiastic Instructors.

I went to Malta last october and talked to as many schools as I could.

The first was fun and adventure/diveshack, liked the guy but they didn't convince me as a serious dive operation.

After that I talked to people at Dive deep blue, subway, Strand and Maltaqua. All of which seemed really good people, well equiped, helpful and professional. I could have gone with any of them, they all seemed great.

I ended up going with Maltaqua and wasn't disappointed (there is a trip report from me around here somewhere).

Just about all the operations work on a collection basis, so where you are in relation to the dive centre becomes the dive centres problem. Most schools dive all round the island anyway and so it doesn't really matter that much.

They will arrange the medical, only one was needed for me to do my AOW and then to contiinue to dive in Malta, it takes about 2 or 3 minutes per person. Get a copy of the standard questionnaire that most places use and give it to the group, if any of them have to say yes to any of the questions then it would be better to see a doctor at home.

One of the main questions is which language you want to train in. All people will offer training in multiple langauages, always English, normally German and or French and sometimes other languages (depending on the size of the school, some will only have 1 instructor others will have 5 or 10). If you are coming with a group of students that would prefer to learn in Dutch then it would be good if you choose a centre that has more than one instructor fluent in that language, just in case. Also make sure they have enough books in the language you wish to use.

As an example my gf is french and Maltaqua's french instructor had a cold and couldn't dive, so he done the classroom lessons in French and then another instructor done the water work in English (well sign language really).

Just a few things to bear in mind.

BTW I forgot to mention, you'll have a great time, its agreat place

Conor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom