DUI Drysuit Demo Days this weekend in Birmingham

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, don't forget this weekend at Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Birmingham (actually Pelham) will be big!

1) It's the annual DUI demo days Saturday and Sunday. A great chance to try out drysuit diving for a minimal cost:

DUI DOG Rally and Demo Day Tour - come scuba test dive a DUI drysuit

2) ABWA is resuming their regular hours for the season starting April 5th:

Welcome!

3) There's news in the facilities department:

New platforms and pools are being built in the former swim area (near the fire trucks.) This gives you easier access to a lot of shallow area with fire trucks, boats, cars, and more.

The new facility (shop, fill station, etc.) is under construction.
Some photos are up on their ABWA web page.

Tried a search and didn't find any threads on this - if it's a duplicate, sorry about that!

David H.

yep ill be there

I'm planning on being there Saturday as long as the weather has moved through by then.

Beck

Wish i was coming but im pulling three 12 hour shifts this weekend. :banghead: 7a - 7p Friday, Saturday, Sunday and not getting paid a dime for it. UGH!!! :banghead:

Ya'll have fun and post up the conditions, i'll be goin over there in a week or so.

Bomb, James Spann said the weather should be gone by 3am Saturday morning. :D looks like we divin'

MM and I will be working the tent again this year.

Well, my impression....

It was quite an ordeal to try one of these dry suits. It was a two hour process for us, standing in line, filling out paperwork, getting fitting, getting regs modded, etc.

A rep from DUI blamed it all on the storm from the night before, but my opinion is that the process was just broken.

Anyway, once we were suited up and we went thru instructions with our diver, we were off.

I don't know if any of you have seen that commercial for the plastic bags that you can store clothes in...then suck the air out with a vacum(sp). Well that's what it feels like when you're descending. I don't know about the ladies, but I had serious crotch issues. That's when you add air to your suit. And it does give relief, but only until you descend deeper. And to top it all off, we still got cold!

But is WAS a fun event even if it was not my cup of tea. My buddy and I reached the conclusion that we would have to be desperate to dive with a dry suit.

Beck

What about water temps and visability? Also did you notice if they had a class schedule posted anywhere?

Well, my impression....

It was quite an ordeal to try one of these dry suits. It was a two hour process for us, standing in line, filling out paperwork, getting fitting, getting regs modded, etc.

A rep from DUI blamed it all on the storm from the night before, but my opinion is that the process was just broken.

Anyway, once we were suited up and we went thru instructions with our diver, we were off.

I don't know if any of you have seen that commercial for the plastic bags that you can store clothes in...then suck the air out with a vacum(sp). Well that's what it feels like when you're descending. I don't know about the ladies, but I had serious crotch issues. That's when you add air to your suit. And it does give relief, but only until you descend deeper. And to top it all off, we still got cold!

But is WAS a fun event even if it was not my cup of tea. My buddy and I reached the conclusion that we would have to be desperate to dive with a dry suit.

Beck
Yes, they take a few dive to get comfortable with them. But once you do, look out. When you get out of the water on a cold day and you are actually warm and others are shivering, they grow on you quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom