Fees for Blue Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleyxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm planning on Diving Blue Springs tomorrow, if the Manatees will let me. :) Does anyone have the latest diving fees?
Thanks

State park pass is $40, I highly suggest buying that instead.

The damn manatees are attracted to people, expect to see a 1500lb beast in your way the entire way up the spring run. I know they say to stay 50ft away, but that's impossible, just try to swim away the best you can. So far divers have been responsible, and they're working with us.

My daughter and I dove Blue Springs in Orange City Fl. on 4-1-08.
We got to the Springs at 8:05 am. We were the only divers there. Excellent!!
The fee was $10.65. (Thanks for the info MuddyRubberDuck) The Lady at the check in gate was very friendly. She told us that we were in luck, there were no manatees at the springs.

We drove to the parking lot, put on our gear and started the hike to the access area.
It was a good workout. I'm a little out of shape so I was huffing and puffing little when we got to the water.

The water was cold, 72 degrees as usual, but I had a 5 mil wetsuit. I was nice and toasty. My 19 year old daughter only had a 3mil farmer john that she rented from the dive shop, she thought that she would get cold, but she said that she felt great.

We got in the water and made our way upstream the the Spring. We put our fins on, did a buddy check, reviewed our hand signals, agreed on our dive plan. We would stay down at 60 feet until one of us hit 1000 lbs (we both knew it would be me first).
Then we would do a 5 min safety stop at 30'-0, and follow that up with a 10 min safety stop at 15'-0.

The visibilty was good, I was concerned about this because I had been told that lately it had been poor. At 60'-0 I rolled over and looked up toward the surface. I swear I could even see the clouds in the sky. I tried to take some pictures but I had a cheap camera and none of them came out.

I had my tank filled at a dive shop in Venice Beach and they only filled it to 2500, so I hit 1000 first and we did our safety stops. We passed the time on ou safety stops by doing a few drills, regulator recovery, mask clearing, ect...and checking out the grafitti carved on the ledges.

The Spring was cool, but I think we had more fun on the drift back to the swimming area. we saw tons of fish and several turtles. We were able to glide under several logs. It was a lot of fun. When we got back to the swimming area, we climbed up the platform and took our gear off and swam around the swimming area. There were only two other people there.

After the swim we climbed back up to the platform and put our gear back on and trudged back up to the parking area. We picked up our cards at the gate on the way out and were back in Daytona by 11:am.

I would highly recommend going on a weekday. It was great being the only divers there. The last time we went was on a weekend and the spring was very crowded. I even had a cave diver drop in on top of me and kick my octopus loose. It drifted behind me and freeflowed for a while before I noticed it.

we went sunday afternoon and by chance were the only ones in the hole which was nice...water was real low so we walked it getting in and out which wasn't fun

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom