Calling all Brigade and Stiletto owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba.Pete

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be purchasing a new BC soon (assuming I sell my Black Diamond). I have narrowed my choices to the Zeagle Brigade or Stiletto. I like the Brigade because it has the more sturdy Ranger harness with the larger pockets. I like that the Stiletto has a more durable bladder. However, everything I have read/heard about Zeagle is that they produce a top-notch, quality product and have excellent customer service. So in reality, quality and durability should not be an issue.
Ok, I'll stop rambling and get to the point.
What is the difference in packing size between the two? I have handled a Stiletto, and it will pack to about half the size of my Black Diamond.
Thanks in advance for your input.
-JB

I have a Stiletto. My buddy replaced his Balance with a Stiletto last year. He ordered the Brigade, but after getting his hands on it, was not impressed with the bladder quality, and sent it back to ScubaToys in exchange for the Stiletto.

The Brigade does have two inch webbing, but the Stiletto is out of the box designed to be a travel BC. It has a lot of nice built in features like the rear weight pouches, lumbar pad that is comfortable without being bulky, and more.

You will have to decide on if the 2" webbing, and larger pockets are worth more to you vs. a lower quality bladder. For my $$, a BC is all about the bladder, so I'd likely go with a sturdier bladder, but it's a choice every diver must make for themselves! :D

I thought the Brigade used the Stiletto bladder? Saw a show on Discovery about the sinking of the Oriskany and all the Navy divers wer using Rangers.

It is actually an escape bladder - read below or check the ST's website

Scubatoys.com:
I have been diving Zeagle BC's for years now, and actually own both a Ranger and an Escape. But then again... I own a dive shop. I prefer the Ranger for most diving as I really like the heavy duty chest straps, and the metal D rings. My favorite was really the ranger of a few years ago - which I still dive, as they used to have a real nice roll down pocket on the right hand side. The problem I ran into, is the darn bladder was pretty bulky for traveling... darn thing barely fit in my dive bag - So I also scammed a Zeagle Escape off our walls. I loved the fact the bladder was lighter, and it packed up smaller - but I missed my Heavy Duty harness and Metal D rings... and of course that roll down pocket.

[SIZE=+1]Solution![/SIZE] Mix the two together in a blender and see what comes out!! I pulled the Bladder off the Escape, and put it onto my old Ranger - and Presto!! I had the perfect BC! In fact, I loved it so much, and people diving with me who saw it or tried it thought it was the greatest thing they've seen..

but i guess they might be the same - you would have to check with ST's or Zeagle to verify that.

I don't know that I would call the Brigade bladder "lower quality". Yes, it's slightly lighter material, and over the course of years, the longevity may be different. But it still has the same quality Zeagle construction. Unless someone is regularly in an overhead environment, like caves or wrecks, where cutting might be a common threat, I'll go for the pockets on the Brigade. Wouldn't want mine any smaller. I've had my Brigade for 110 dives now, and the bladder shows virtually no wear. Hmmm, no wear X 1000 dives would still be no wear.

I have been diving with my stiletto for about a year now and i am in the military i carry it with me traveling and on missions, i love the thing. it is well made and durable, i highly recommend it, just for the durability and compactness its worth the money.

The reason my buddy replaced his Balance BC with the Stiletto was because the bladder tore. So he was a bit guy shy of thin bladder material, and when he saw the Brigade (escape) bladder in comparison to my Stiletto bladder, he sent back the Brigade

I'm sure the Brigade bladder is fine, but like everything that is true right up to the point it is not! :blinking:

If one is doing swim throughs in Coz, or diving around coral in surge, bladders can get torn. Showing no wear, and how durable something is are two separate things, and the reality is the Escape bladder is encased in much thinner material vs. the Stiletto.

The Stiletto is not modular, is it? i.e. I could not buy a ranger and put the Stiletto bladder on it.

The Stiletto is not modular, is it? i.e. I could not buy a ranger and put the Stiletto bladder on it.

I believe you can, but I'm not sure why anyone would do that. If you need more pocket space (and I can count the times I've used my pockets on one hand), you can always add a pocket.

I'm guessing putting a Stiletto bladder on a Ranger is going to run some bucks. Like maybe $300 +/- over the cost of the Ranger alone.

I had a Ranger, and replaced it for the Stiletto for better travel. I can't think of anything a Stiletto won't do for singles. You could talk to Joe or Larry at ST's, or post a question in the Zeagle forum for Scott to see if they would be willing to put something together for you in a custom design.

When I had my Stiletto, I used the trim pockets for storage. IMO, they are too low for weights and trimming out. I put weight pouches (XS scuba) on the top tank straps. Kept a large DSMB in one trim pocket and a folding snorkel in the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom