Padauk, Mahogany or Teak??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teak is superior. Its higher silicate content keeps it from rotting from constant water exposure. It requires no protective coating other than occasional oil rub downs. Its also more expensive and harder to get in long straight pieces. It has been the wood of coice for marine applications since it was discovered.

I agree with Pat. Teak is very nice, but it is getting VERY hard to find pieces straight enough to make a decent length gun. Padauk is very pretty, but it is extremely heavy. Mahogany is really a compromise wood for a speargun. It requires pretty serious sealing.

I am a Spearfishing Specialties dealer and Kevin is doing quite well with the HPL guns. This is the same laminate used for competition rifle stocks. Makes a nice, and extremely durable, speargun.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

My primary gun is one of Kevin's 52" teak commercial guns, and I love it. I wish teak was easier for him to get. I have everyone in my circle (and since my circle almost entirely work in a dive shop carrying his line.... everyone they talk to too) using his guns. Perfect for conditions like mine here in the Gulf off Panama City. I am the only one with teak though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom