DiveTek BCD's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pseudocyber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in a LDS today looking around and got into a discussion about what BCD to look at for me. I mentioned I really liked what I had heard about a BP/W - and looked at the Dive Rite stuff in there - like a Transpac. I mentioned we're going to do a live aboard in Nov. and they said the BP/W was heavy for traveling and showed me a back inflate DiveTek BCD. I hadn't heard of them, and it was less expensive than the DiveRite. Anyone know anything about the DiveTek's? I googled them - and not much online. Their website is "under construction".

If you are interested in a BP/W, don't let a LDS talk you into something else. A recreational back inflation BC and a BP/W are two different products with very different features and capabilities.

Yes the BP/W is probably heavier, but that is not always a bad thing. I carry a SS BP on vacation with me because I refuse to wear a weight belt and screw my trim up. I'm willing to carry the extra weight on the plane to make sure my diving is enjoyable. You can always get an AL plate or buy a Kydex plate from Deep Sea Supply if weight is that big an issue.

I'm not a big fan of Dive Rite, although they do have some decent equipment. If you really want a BP and wing, check out Deep Sea Supply and talk to Tobin. He will get you fitted properly. Salvo also has the Agir Brock line. I have never dove in any of it, but it looks like quality, well designed gear.

Hello:D I just tried out my new Stainless Steel Halcyon Eclipse 30 in the pool last week. It is a lot easier to control my trimming and buoyancy. I am able to keep myself in a horizontal postion with much less effort. I used to have a Seac Sub Pro Tech BCD and a back inflated Seaquest Balance BC. Among the three, the Halcyon gives the best buoyancy control. With the basic harness, it keeps my front very clean and no weight belt. A SS bp/wing is definitely a good choice for me.

Happy diving.:)

I was in a LDS today looking around and got into a discussion about what BCD to look at for me. I mentioned I really liked what I had heard about a BP/W - and looked at the Dive Rite stuff in there - like a Transpac. I mentioned we're going to do a live aboard in Nov. and they said the BP/W was heavy for traveling and showed me a back inflate DiveTek BCD. I hadn't heard of them, and it was less expensive than the DiveRite. Anyone know anything about the DiveTek's? I googled them - and not much online. Their website is "under construction".
The problem with lack of response may well be lack of experience with DiveTek. I've not heard of them and quite possibly many others have not, either (doesn't make them bad, just not well known), so answering your first question (Anyone know anything about the Dive Tek?) may be a challenge. There is nothing wrong with a SS BP and appropriate wing for travel. The problem most folks have with too much weight is carrying unnecessary clothing and other personal articles, NOT too much weight in dive gear.

I've actually had some dealings with Divetek and have been really impressed with the quality of their BCD. Very well made and actually come in some really cool patterns. Often times one of our dealers matches our drysuit colors with the BCD's. Pretty cool. I know one of their big dealers is Scuba Schools of America in California. Give them a call at 909-621-4171.

Back
Top Bottom