Setup for beginner...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21isfun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm a college senior that will be heading off to med school in Fall 2009. I know that I prob won't have much time to get out during those years of med school and residency, but I'm hoping to get a few trips in before hand, and try to continue after I start into my career. Over the next two years, starting this May I'll be taking trips to the Florida Keys, Hawaii, and Tahiti for sure, with others possibly interspersed. I'll only be doing warm water diving for purely recreational purposes and for hobby photography. So my question is, since I'm on a tight budget, and the equipment won't be getting alot of use, what kind of setup should I buy (I do want to buy not rent)?

My thoughts:I'm female, 5'3", 140 lbs, larger busted, short abdomen.

BCDs-I'd like to have a chest strap to prevent slippage off of shoulders-lift shouldn't be a problem- will be travelling with it since I live in Ohio (far from tropical)
tusa 2100
Cressi-sub line
Mares Vector Origin
SeaQuest Pacifica or Wave

Regulators/Octo- I'm lost in this department-but won't be diving in cold water or deeper than 80' ever I'd doubt- most of the time I plan for 30-60'

Mask-I have a super narrow face- normally wear kids glasses/sunglasses-
Mares X-vision mid -used during OW training- it fit ok
Mares Kona mid
aqualung tyke midi

Fins- I'm thinking full foot, since diving in warm water, so then can also be used for snorkeling without booties adding buoyancy to feet when on surface,
Aqualung Stratos or Caravelle
Mares Volo Race

I appreciate any input or details on the above equipment, and if you have suggestions for comparable equipment please feel free to give it. I'm hoping to get BCD, regs/octo/guages , fins, mask for $500 or less- using ebay for mask/fins and possibly bcd. Thanks in advance!!!

For the BC, I would recommend Zeagle. They use a two piece system. The waist band the the shoulder harness are snapped together. The benefit of this is that they are intended to be sold so that the two pieces can be diffrent sizes at no extra cost giving you more or less a custom fit BC. My Zeagle Ranger is an XL shoulder harness with a L waist. Fits me very well. The Stiletto is the biggest seller I think and the make a women's model of it of course I can't remember the name. Has the chest srap too. They also make another womens model that I can't remember the name of. The big thing for BC is fit. People will give all sorts of recommendations, but what you like and feel fits the best is going to be up to you. Zeagle products do hold up very well.

For the reg, again I like the Zeagle. EIther the Envoy or Envoy Deluxe. The difference is the Deluxe is adjustable making easier to breath if you turn a knob. May not be worth it with what you are saying your depths will be. The rezort line may work well for you as well. Zeagle is used by the US Navy and all meet or exceed their requirements. Again you will get A LOT of input here.

Don't know much about masks. I have a Cressi I'm very happy with. Fit is the most important thing.

Fins, again don't know much. I have Cressi Frogs. Not badly priced and work well. THey are open heel and require boots.

To get the price you are looking for, go to some dive shops and see if they will sell their rental gear. You're probably going to have to get everything used which is not a big deal. Some online vendors may be able to give you some good prices. Leisurepro has good prices.

I'm with Nismo on the Zeagle BCD's (quality, and adaptable sizing) and regs (great regs and great price). It's been said before a thousand times here, but give Scubatoys a shout for both those items at the best price. BTW, the Scout is a low cost BCD but has nothing cheap about it's design or manufacture.

Full foot fins sound good for warm water and travel.

Mask is what fits and works for you. Do a search in the forums for the narrow face thing.

Have fun at school, and my apologies on behalf of (most of) the male population for the above two cheesy posts.

I'll give another vote for a look at Zeagle. I have 4 of their regulators and I'm very pleased with them. They also make a women's model of BC called the Zena that is pretty popular, have a look.

Good luck with med school.

Jim

I don't own a Zeagle, not you size either (obvuously). I can't imagine a better way to suck the fun out of diving than to buy an oversized, cheapo BCD designed to a typical big guy. You will have too much bulk to carry easy when you travel, it will be hard to trim (swim or hover horizontal) and frankly you feel encased in the upper torso.

I would look seriously in smaller back inflates desiged for women, including Zeagle. I think a few extra bucks up front will make you much more comfortable in the water.

If I were to get another BC I'd get the transplate, a harness, and the travel wing.

I just got a Zeagle ranger and think it feels bulky when I dive. This puts me into the parket for something else as well.

I noticed scuba toys has a backplate wing combo package for under 300...

Sooo what school?

Just for a differing viewpoint, I dive in central PA and am also a college student. I understand the concern to save money on equipment, but I bought Oceanic gear which I thought fit me the best. Spent a little extra money, but am very comfortable and would easily buy the same equipment again! Look around and see what is best for you! Though you might want to check out the Oceanic Hera, their female specific BC...

Good luck with the equipment and school! Congrats too!

Back
Top Bottom