Cheapest telephone service Belize to USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skarowe

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can call the USA from Belize without it costing an arm and a leg? Or, if that's my only option (!), what are some of the ways? For example, are there calling cards I can buy in Belize? ATT cellular service?, etc.? Thanks

You can buy calling cards in Belize and that would probably be your cheapest way. They come in a variety of denominations starting at $10.00 Belize. Scratch off the code and go from there and remember that you dial: 001-area code-number. Cell phone roaming and long distance charges from Belize are expensive.

Does anyone know how I can call the USA from Belize without it costing an arm and a leg? Or, if that's my only option (!), what are some of the ways? For example, are there calling cards I can buy in Belize? ATT cellular service?, etc.? Thanks

If you have internet access, you can use Skype.

Terry

Re Skype - depends on your internet provider. Last time I was in Belize tried to use Skype and found the service blocked. Believe the Internet provider was the national telephone company. Can't remember, but I was at the Great House using wireless internet.

That's correct - Skype doesn't work here any more. Nor do any VPNs (so far as I can tell).

Belize internet provider BTL (Belize Telecom) is blocking access to VoIP softwares such as Skype.
To have an access to Skype with BTL you need at least to encrypt your data. By encrypting your data, BTL will not be able to detect your VoIP software. The easiest way to resolve the problem comes from Witopia personalVPN. As we say, It encrypts your data to a US IP address so nobody will be able to access your data. In addition, Witopia personalVPN protects you against hackers and allow you access to blocked or censored contents (for example: When you are connected in China or using Skype in Belize, ...).

Witopia personnalVPN costs $39.99 and is very easy to use.

Works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X, and Linux and with any and all applications including email, instant messaging, and web surfing.

You can download it from the official editor's website : Witopia

I found this tip on www.helpnote.net
(direct link)

BTL monitor all traffic and if they detect significant use of a particular VPN they assume it's being used for VoIP and they block it. So maybe Witopia will work for a while and maybe it won't. They have effectively rendered all of Hotspot's products useless. They devote considerable resources to preventing competition (totally illegally, but the owner is so powerful he doesn't give a damn) and so far as can be told minimal resources to improving their own services.

you also can use some of the internet cafe's to make cheap calls to the states, I know island internet that is on the south end of town by the gas station has service. Also you can buy a Chip for DIGI cell pay as you go and then call to the us cheaper that using a us account.
i use a calling service by dialing 10101991 + number and that helps reduce the cost. Runs about .50 us a minute

Dear Skarowe,

Calling the USA from Belize can be quite pricey. The Belize Telemedia ( telephone) Company is a monopoly a rates reflect it. BTL also owns the line internet serve and blocks Skype and similar on-line phone services. The following method are the least expensive ways that I know of to call the States from Belize:

1. Locate an internet shop or cafe that is served by satellite. There Skype by-passes BTL making charges reasonable. ( In Placencia Placencia Office Supply offers this service) Rate 25 $0.25US ($0.50bz or less).

During normal business hours purchase an USA connect prepaid phone card from a BTL office. There is one in every major tourist location. From a regular line phone, one can call the the US for $0.25US/min anytime. This card can be used on a cell phone but incurs an additional charge of $0.55bz/min in cell phone charges.

3. From a line phone using a regular prepaid card or regular dialing,: 10-10-199 -1 -US area code - xxx -xxxx. after 8 the cost is $100.bz/min . Before 8PM the rate is $1.25. Both offer a saving over straight 011 dialing.

Most expensive calls: Cell phone calls with straight regular dialing of 001-1 xxxx -xxx-xxxx
Mucho expensive.

Enjoy Belize
US and Belize resident

Hello,

After travelling in Dubai (UAE) and in China, I found a software that unblock Skype and censored contents in some countries.

I know Skype is blocked or there is censor in the following countries : Belize, China, Columbia, Cuba, Jordan, UAE ...

After searching internet, I found a way to make calls and to access censored content in those countries using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

How does it works ?

A VPN encrypte the data you send on internet to a US IP adress (tunnel). This way your Internet Services Provider can't detect you are using Skype or another VoIP software ! It allow you access to censored content and geographical locked contents (i.e: listening radio on pandora.com , watching TV streams for US residents, ...).

There is a lot of VPN softwares, the first I tried was VPNaccounts. I didn't like it because it took a lot of time for activation, it was expensive and helpdesk support was very slow.

A friend of mine who lives in Belize told me about another VPN software called Witopia personnalVPN.

Now I am using Witopia personnalVPN. It is easier to use (you just have to launch the software before launching Skype), faster and cheaper than all other VPN softwares I tried.

It costs 39.99$ and works perfectly.

You can download it from the official editor's website : Witopia personnalVPN

Works on Windows and Mac.

I hope this post will help people who are in those countries and reducing censorship !

Contact me if you need more information : info@helpnote.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom