Sudan - need advice on tours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
I think about a diving safari to Sudan starting End of May.
First option: 2 weeks from Port Ghalib/Egypt special route down Deep South to the border with Erithrea.
Second option: 2 weeks from Port Sudan covering both Suakin Islands and the North up to Angarosh on the Royal Emperor.
The first option sounds like a long way of motoring because of the huge distances to be covered.
The second option sounds more reasonable because of less motoring (and I want enough time for the classic dive spots The problem is that one travel agency claims there to be space left on that boat (and optioned one for me) while others (who I asked first) deny it. How can I check it?
All advice will be appreciated.
Yours,
Liberty

Sudan diving seems to be a bit of a mess.
One travel agency says the Royal Emperor (departure 24.05.) is fully booked, one says there is a 2-week-North-South trip without return to Port Sudan in the middle and reserved a bed.
The last one get space for a trip on the Royal Emperor from the 24.5. for one week only.
Do they know what they do? Any advice?
Yours,
Liberty

Going on the 2-week-trip on the Royal Emperor end of May/beginning of June including Suakin and the North up to Angarosh.
I have never done a liveaboard trip in the Red Sea. Are there moskitoes on the boats? What gear is necessary?
That is why all advice will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Liberty

I have never noticed mosquitos on Red sea liveaboards, though they exist there on land.

Bring all your gear except gloves, knife, weights and tank. Bring spares (O-rings, fin strap, spare mask if you own one, etc). Leave most clothes at home. Bring two pairs of swimming trunks. Some heavy duty clothespins to hang stuff out to dry. Sunscreen. SMB.

Thank you.
What is SMB? Safety sausage?
Have you been on the Royal Emperor?
Cheers,
Liberty

Back
Top Bottom