Dive Logs: What does yours look like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dive logs are a very important part of the diving experience. More than that, they document how many dives a diver has made, and in what kind of envirenments.

However, I have found an even better use for my diving logs, which I'll get to later in this thread. It involves collecting information, and learning over a longer period of time, from my dives.

But before I get into that, how are you using your dive log? What does it mean to you? What information are you collecting, is it hard copy or soft copy? Are you integrating your dive computer info into your dive log, or recording bottom time/decompression info manually? In short, how are you using your dive log?

SeaRat

I keep a dive log. It includes date, place, buddies, max depth, time, gas mix, deco plan versus actual, temperature, equipment, starting pressure, ending pressure and anything else interesting about the dive.

I write it up on the computer and print it out for inclusion in a three ring binder.

If I'm diving on a computer, I download the log and include a print out of the profile.

-
GUE folks in South Florida use wetnotes for a log. I havn't started doing it yet but they have a format that allows them to log several dives on each page. They just seperate each dive by a line. Its really a cool idea. When the Wetnotes is full you store it and get another one. Keep it in your pocket and you can fill it out while floating in the water after a dive.

If anyone uses this method and has the format that the GUE guys are using please tell.

My log book has changed over the years. As I filled one log, I'd consider what I'd like to change for the next. After volume 9, I stopped buying "logbooks." Now I get lined record books at an office supply store. I can write as much or as little as I want. I can sketch the site if it pleases me. If I need 3 or 4 pages for a single dive, I use them. If I have little to say, I may fit 4 or 5 dives on a single page. I can change what info I keep merely by writing down additional facts or leaving them out - no blank spaces.

In addition, I have another log book I keep on excel - 40 dives per page. It keeps track of various types of dives - deep, wreck, average depth, average time. I print out the sheets, laminate them back to back and keep them on a three ring binder.

I also make use of diverecord.com. They have a free online log service.

lucid once bubbled...
-
GUE folks in South Florida use wetnotes for a log. I havn't started doing it yet but they have a format that allows them to log several dives on each page. They just seperate each dive by a line. Its really a cool idea. When the Wetnotes is full you store it and get another one. Keep it in your pocket and you can fill it out while floating in the water after a dive.
Sorry for the slight hijack, but lucid.....what wetnotes do you use?
Do you have any good sources for getting them? Different brand names? etc. etc. etc.

I Like the SSI log pages but have seen some information in other divers' logs that I should include in mine. I am in the middle of designing my own log pages to include or exclude certain points about the dive. An area guy sells water proof paper and I think I can print up the log pages at work because they have this ink that feels like wax.

I thought the LDS was outrages for a ring binder so I picked this one up during back to school shopping for $3.00. It is a Mead 5 star organizer. Has places for pens, slots for C-Cards, and a zipper compartment for other small things. Dig out a couple of Iron on patches and Instant dive log.

I can't be much help here. My LDS has them on order so I havn't even started logging like this. I know that Brownies Southport in Ft Lauderdale has Wetnotes and the Techies from there log dives in them.

Someone posted a link about two months ago with a wetnote source. If you read this repost it =]

WW, surely you can tell us the format they use.

Doc: COV LMNO has them on their specials page. $10!!! Not sure if there are different flavahs of Wernotes, but this looks like the best price I've seen:
http://www.covci.com/specials.htm

As important part of my log as the tech notes are (weight, SAC, P02 dosage, mix, etc.) I think the quick narrative is just as important.

It amazes me that more people aren't in the galley between dives updating their logs. My wife is terrible about it... most of my friends are treeible about it. I just don't get that.

I not only want to remember the dive site (a map, what I saw, time of day, season, current, temperature, etc.) but also what I was feeling - was I confident, was I scared, was my buddy a dufus, what'd I see, did I have fun, what was my objective (having fun is a good objective, too!) equipment issues, etc, etc, etc.

Its a diary and a log. I don't get sign off's, but I jame a lot of stuff in there. I use the SSI pages. There was a thread I came across not long ago where at least 5 or 6 of you posted your home creations - some of those were great.

I only have 62 dives - but my log is rockin. I love going back and seeing my weight requirements drop, my bottomtime increase, my SAC drop, etc. I intend to remain committed to keeping an accurate log well into 9 volumes (!)....

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom