CompuMast USB Connection impossible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keithhe

Reaction score
I just bought the Aeris CompuMask having owned (still do) the Elite air integrated, and just can't believe it went from what I thought was the worst interface connection possible to one even worse.

For Aeris, seriously, did you folks have a contest for how lousy a connection was possible then stick it where it simply could not be connected?

Honestly, I always had problems with the connection on the Elite and thought, at best, the software was clunky. The bigger issue is the flimsy connection method that never seems to be connected correctly, and consequently the never ending "time outs". What a joke. After about 6 hours, I have yet to have succesfully connected this mask.

Please advise a local N. Virginia dealer that can actually connect this Mask up and show me this can even be done, or I plan to return it for a refund.

The computers work well, and are not cheap. SPEND $5 to $10 on an engineer that can actually design the interface and perhaps a few bucks for a program that is somewhere beyond Windows 3.1 caliber.

I just spoke to Aeris on the phone, and they are evidently aware of the problem. Thta's the good news. The bad news is that they have no plans to do anything about this.

That's troubling to me that a manufacturer of an otherwise good product would know they have a problem, yet refuse to do anything to fix it.

For those that do not have one of the masks, this is not at all the same connection method they use on the other DC's. The best analogy I can use is that you have to make 3 needles (the pointed side) connect with three other needles (pointed side). The USB end is exactly the same as on the other DC's, but for reasons that escape logic they decided to have a three sided square connection point INSIDE THE MASK. No detents, none of the alignment indentations on the USB end have a coorisponding connection inside of this three sided arrangement they use.

To make matters worse the USB is long enough to interfer with the nose piece of the mask, so it will not stay in the square hole. If you let go, it falls out. The square hole, by the way is only about an 1/8 inch deep. No question you will need to try to figure out a way to hold the USB in exactly the correct way with one hand and operate the PC with the other hand.

They could easily fix this, without having to redesign the mask, or even its connection square hole, by creating a USB bridge that actually fits the hole and have the other side with short pig tail that could be the normal connection to the USB cable.

They simple are not going to do this.

I would strongly suggest that anyone considering this mask, don't. If you don't wish to use the PC interface, than perhaps it's OK. If you wish to use it though you will not be able to do so.

Come on Aeris, step up to the plate and admit you have a problem, and that you will come up with a solution. That is what the basis of customer service is.

My recommendation DON'T BUY THE COMPUMASK !!!

I welcome a reply from someone up the chain at Aeris on this matter.

Hi Keithhe,

I've seen your other posts on the topic - and quite honestly didn't feel compelled to respond as you're more than welcome to your opinion - one that I can't argue with. While others have posted similar difficulties - there are thousands of CompuMask and DataMask users that are not having the problem.

To state that we have no plans to improve the product is absolutely untrue - anyone with any history with our companies knows that we continually strive to improve our products - based significantly on user feedback. Addressing the USB connection is a significant challenge - and will be addressed as we are able.

Best regards,

Doug,

That, at least, is response. For that I thank you. Please note though I dealt with the local dealer, who had no answers and I did call Aeris and was told by the rep what I stated above. The other DC's have minor connection issues, compared to this mask, and what I asked the rep was whether it was a known issue first, and the response was, "yes". Qualified by it had been known for some time and had been "batted" around at Aeris. The second question was if Aeris was going to do anything to correct the issue, and the response was, "no, there are no plans to do so." Further telling me that it had been brought to the attention of the engineers, along with a potential solution, and it was nothing they were concerned with (paraphrased and not verbatim). They must not be using the mask, I have to conclude.

Doug, I'm in a very difficult customer service business myself in the private/corporate aviation business and I can promise you that if one of my customers comes to me with a legitimate or even perceived issue, it is still an issue. Not wanting to respond is not an option, it's requirement when customers are having difficulties, particularly one not of our making, but rather an engineering issue of the product itself. That does deserve a response after the kind of money these masks cost, and let me note that it's my second Aeris DC.

I stand by what I said, above, and post as a caution to others considering a purchase of this DC. I will continue to spread the word until at which time Aeris decides to publicly commit to a solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom