Training Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcbdiver

Reaction score
Welcome to diving!

While it is important to have a connection with your instructor and his approach to safety, there are some differences between agencies and stores in the manner and depth in which the information is relayed. For most individuals, here at least, they will not meet their instructor unless they are lucky enough to speak with them on the phone or accidentally meet them in the dive shop. Therefore, the personality issue is unestablished until the first class. You hate the instructor, you quit, never get certified, or go to another dive shop and put out more money. In New Orleans, there is only one NAUI store. Why? I have no idea since there are only NAUI stores in Baton Rouge just 50 miles away. NAUI classes in New Orleans are three weeks, the PADI course varies according to store, but generally is about two weeks. Does that mean you miss out on any information with the PADI course? No. I have found that NAUI courses have a technical side to them that diving for recreational purposes isn't necessary or helpful. If you were to go into the service, I would recommend the NAUI course. I cannot comment on IANTD or other agencies beyond PADI and NAUI. Will you essentially learn how to save yourself if necessary, ABSOLUTELY with any agency! The biggest skill for most people is the mask clearing, if that skill is mastered, the rest is a breeze.

Happy Diving!

Too some extent there is a common curriculaum so they are all good. CMAS SSI PADI, NAUI AND BSAC etc.

Mask clearing is good but I have found the skill of getting back the regulator after it has fallen out of ones mouth the most useful. Poor regulator skills can get you killed. Also modern masks come with a purge valve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom