First BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VOL_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not to dredge up the whole "I'm getting my first...." threads, but I'm planning on going PB/W and I'm looking to work up a budget for it.

So, what did everyone pay for their setup?

When I make the trip to the LDS to purchase I need to make sure I'm not missing big numbers. (It's a long trip and I don't tend to make it often.) Every time I go I overspend because of little things that weren't budgeted for. This time I would like to know that I've got everything covered, at least item wise if not cost wise.

From what I've gleamed from the forum it's the backplate, wing and harness. Any other 'hidden' costs that I'm missing? Ah, yes of the bat I didn't include a LP inflator hose.

Thank you everyone for being such a wealth of information! Each dive is a learning experience, and reading this board helps so much more.

- Rob

I went with a DSS full setup, and payed only a little over $400. This included the wing, SS plate, and harness. The harness was the basic Hogarthian harness, with all the pieces necessary to rig it. The wing includes the LP hose. There is nothing else you need for this, other than very small pieces of bungie and some bolt snaps for clipping off the SPG, etc. That will depend on how you are doing your octo, etc.

Here's a short list:

-Backplate (SS or AL)
-Harness (Most, including myself, suggest a 1-piece harness, or "Hogarthian" harness, includes D rings, etc.)
-Crotch strap (Go with a 2'' strap)
-Single Tank Adapter (Depends on the wing, most reccomend it)
-2 Cam straps (Either plastic or SS, I chose plastic because of the price)

LP hose should come with the wing. You can see a write up of my kit here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hogarthian-diving/213998-new-rig.html

For trim weight, I chose 4 slide-on XS Scuba weight pockets. Two on the waist band, 2 on the top cam strap. I made a few minor changes after my first time in the water with it, including losing the right D-ring on the waist. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

I like the idea of the slide-on weight pockets...I assume they are ditchable by simply unbuckling the harness? Because the weight belt is a PITA to don after putting on the rig with the crotch strap. BTW..the DSS complete rigs come with cam bands, and you don't need an STA because of the rubber attachment on the wing...keeps the tank from rocking.

Easiest mistakes to make are probably either not to get a STA when you need it or get a STA when the rig you got does not really require it. If you dealing with a salesperson who does not know this, go to another person…

Another issue will arise if you have not decided on the harness. If you know you will go with one piece webbing, some people will suggest different numbers of D-rings, rings bent in different ways etc. Some will push for comfort harnesses of one type or another. Make sure you know what you want or you will have to make a decision in front of a sales person who probably has a strong opinion one way or another.

Cam straps come in different types, good to know there is not only one type. Since they are not attached to the wing you will have a choice. If you know what brands your shop carries we can maybe offer opinions on the benefits of each if you aren’t decided yet.

I second the XSScuba weight pockets instead of some (huge) weight pockets some companies offer. They might not offer enough space but sometimes it is smarter to start with weight belt before committing to expensive weight pouch purchase, only to notice they weren’t really convenient to use with the BP/W. You can always add weight system to the BP/W later. (Of course if you a buy a system they might throw these in for the price). P.S. Most weight systems you ditch by opening the pocket only, you do not need to unbuckle whole harness. Pay attention to the system, how safe it is to ditch.

Another P.S. Do not get the biggest baddest wing and don't go for the wing marketed "good for both singles and doubles". It's a common mistake to try to swat two flies with one smack and end up not getting a good hit at all.

I think buying complete packages is both more cost-effective and more efficient than piecemealing.

You can drive your costs down by buying some things used, but not all plates are compatible with all wings, so if you're new to the gear, buying a complete setup from one manufacturer ensures it will all work together.

A BP/W setup is pretty simple -- plate, harness, wing. The "hidden costs" are pockets, boltsnaps (which are ridiculously expensive), and a weight system. I use a belt. It's easy, it was cheap, and I think I run less risk of losing weights than people with the ACB pockets or DUI harnesses do.

I recently purchased my first rig from scubatoys.
Oxycheq xtreme wing
OMS AL backplate
Oxycheq hog harness
2 Stainless Cam straps
Backplate Pad (Ok- I know I didn't need this, but it made classes nice while wearing the rig in only swimsuit, and I liked that I can store an SMB in it)
Shoulder pads- (Same as above)

$500 Total- But the Backpad and Shoulder pads added $70 to the cost that really weren't needed

My wing came with the inflator hose-

I like the idea of the slide-on weight pockets...I assume they are ditchable by simply unbuckling the harness?

You don't have to ditch the pocket--just pull the Velcro tab and pop out the weight. You can also get a variant that has the weight falling out of the bottom after pulling the tab.

Back
Top Bottom