Luna BCD dump valve handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GatorCT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, my wife managed to yank the little black pull handle off of the rear air dump valve on her Sherwood Luna BCD. She saved it, handed it to me at about 60 ft under. I've been trying to figure out how to re-fasten it!
Please help. On first day of week's diving, and none of the dive-masters were much help.
How does it open? A small jeweler's screwdriver maybe?

Peter

Most dump valve housings screw onto the BC like a jar lid.

I assume what she pulled off was the pull string. You'll need to unscew the housing from the BC.

Remove the spring and valve disk.

peel back the rubber pad on the valve disk to expose the center hole.

Thread the string back thru the housing, spring, and valve disk.

Tie an appropriate size stopper knot at the very end of the string.

Press the rubber pad back in place.

Screw the housing back into place being careful not to cross thread.

Hi, my wife managed to yank the little black pull handle off of the rear air dump valve on her Sherwood Luna BCD. She saved it, handed it to me at about 60 ft under. I've been trying to figure out how to re-fasten it!
Please help. On first day of week's diving, and none of the dive-masters were much help.
How does it open? A small jeweler's screwdriver maybe?

Peter

That seems to be a fairly common problem. To open the pull handle, you may either insert a small punch through the open end and pop the cap off, or lacking a punch, a thin knife blade can be used to pry out the cap. Then tie a knot that is bigger than the original knot in the string and reassemble.

I guess I didn't do a very good job with my description, but thanks for the rapid reply!!

The valve assembly is still intact, and the little string is still there also. It's the little black handle that popped off the end of the string. I've never seen anything quite like it, and can't seem to find a way to open it. There's only a single hole in it, into which to thread the string, so it has to come apart somehow.
Worst case, I'll just tie something else to the end of the string.
Peter

I don't have a punch. I think it's one of the few tools NOT on my handy Leatherman. I've tried a small knife, but I think I'm already applying too much force, without any hint of result. I've put it aside, for fear of cutting one of my fingers off in the process.

Thanks so much anyway.

Dear Peter,

If I am understanding you correctly the ball came off the string? If that is the case, all you need to do is feed the string down through the center of the ball and re-tie the knot. One thing you need to do is make sure the knot is larger than that "tunnel" down the center of the ball. If you are having a problem take the BC back to your LDS, they should be able to help you out without an issue.

Thanks,

Sherwood Scuba

I don't have a punch. I think it's one of the few tools NOT on my handy Leatherman. I've tried a small knife, but I think I'm already applying too much force, without any hint of result. I've put it aside, for fear of cutting one of my fingers off in the process.

Thanks so much anyway.

Based on this, it is probably best if you take it to your LDS. I would not want you to injure yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom