Any interest in a Duane night dive on 4/19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be down in Key Largo starting on the 18th and am looking to put a Daune night dive together. I have three divers in my group ready to go but we really need at least 2 more to make it worthwhile for an Op to go out to the Duane.

We will most likely use Gary and Conch Republic (Gary/Brenda did you see my email?). I know that a group of Rebreather guys will be down that weekend so I can't imagine we won't be able to get a quorum.

This is IMHO the best dive in the Keys if you have the right experience level (everyone in my group has at least 1/2 dozed night dives on the Duane). Of course conditions will dictate the dive - monster currents during the day is one thing, but a night it presents a much bigger risk for a diver blown off the wreck.

PM if you are interested or you need more details.

I thought I would bump this post now that the details are fixed.

A small group of divers are planning on diving the Duane next Saturday night with Conch Republic divers. So if you are interested PM and call Conch Republic to book the dives.

Some images from past trips.
939.jpg

Did I mention the ship is covered in Cup Coral that really opens up at nights.
625.jpg

Keys_April_23_2005_056_copy.jpg

Too bad you wont be down there the following week with us for Sinko.

How was the Duane night dive on the 19th? We were in the group doing the night reef dive. Had an incredible dive on the Duane the Tuesday before. Massive current, took my mask off several times because I was too busy watching the HUGE fish waiting for dinner to drift by. Bit through my mouthpiece trying to keep my regulator in my mouth, but damn, it was a dive.... Like the captain said... Like a bug on a windsheild. ha ha

We left the dock under sunny Skies and calm seas (less than 1' offshore). After watching the sun go down our group of 6 descended on the bow of the ex Coast Guard Cutter, the Duane.

Captain Gary from Conch Republic hot dropped us on the bow as the moorings were being taken up by a couple of fishing boat. There was no current Saturday night, so the dive was mighty easy. The only limitation was the deco obligation (most of us had a mild obligation that was readily resolved during our slow assent) that all too quickly came upon us on this unbelievable night.

Gary moved the boat off the stern mooring that was still being coveted by the locals still trying to get a "big one". We all came to the surface over a 5 minute period, slowing swimming from the mooring ball toward are waiting ride.

We basically killed a bottle of Bailey's on the ride back in under the glow of a full moon. Just a perfect night on the signature dive in the Keys.

Thanks again to Captain Gary and Conch Republic for being so accommodating, and to my friends that made tonight possible.

Some images.

Another bow shot.
Duane+bow.jpg

Some images taken by Chris Pacitto
F7810E210BDE41D9914BDF80AC58E4EF.JPG

A great image from the ship's galley at night also taken by Chris
B81718B332F44680964D0959E0FDA7B9.JPG
Notice the ovens on the right and the big mixer on the left.

How was the Duane night dive on the 19th? We were in the group doing the night reef dive. Had an incredible dive on the Duane the Tuesday before. Massive current, took my mask off several times because I was too busy watching the HUGE fish waiting for dinner to drift by. Bit through my mouthpiece trying to keep my regulator in my mouth, but damn, it was a dive.... Like the captain said... Like a bug on a windsheild. ha ha

I'm not sure I have the <cough> male equipment <cough> necessary to do a dive like that. Beautiful shots though!

Great pics!! I was back on the Duane last Sunday. Next time I'll see if I can dive it at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom