Padi Master Scuba Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanL

Registered
Reaction score
Find myself very much into diving after 1-1/2 yrs and nearly 150 dives in all sorts of conditions. Completed thru PADI Rescue Diver and 6 specialties, mostly just to keep learning. Looking back, have sent a lot of money to PADI, have learned alot along the way, but not sure that the learning/$ spent was a great value (good, but not great).
What is the Master Scuba Diver rating? How much, and is it worth it? Don't hear much about this step.
I'm somewhat familiar with Divemaster rqmnts and cost, but not sure if that's the best next step.
What are some additional worthwhile training opportunities where the learning/$ spent ratio is high? My interests are cold water (out of necessity), longer dives, Lake Superior wrecks and carribean drift diving.
Thoughts appreciated....

What you get out of it. A class is only as good as the Instructor and what you want to take away from the experience. As far as Master Diver goes.......If you like to beat your chest and show folks that you drive the best car, can climb the rock wall faster than anyone else, and that you can out drink any guy in the bar...by all means get that Master Diver as soon as possible.

It looks like you have already completed the requirements. Pay a few bucks, get the card and FLASH Away. To me it is only a collector card but I may be wrong.

I found this at the padi site:
What is the PADI Master Scuba Diver Certification?

This certification denotes that you've reached the highest recreational diver level in the PADI System of diver education. PADI Master Scuba Diver indicates you have a significant amount of training and experience in a variety of dive environments.

What do I need to start?

PADI Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
PADI Rescue Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
50 logged dives
Five PADI Specialty course certifications
Minimum age: 15 years old (12 for Junior Master Scuba Diver)
Where can I go from here?

The PADI Master Scuba Diver certification is the highest recreational level in the PADI system of diver education. But, you don't have to stop there! You can continue on to become a PADI Professional. As a Master Scuba Diver you'll be well qualified to begin your training as a PADI Divemaster.

but I think I heard somewhere at a certain level of instructor (not sure which) you need a certain amount of points - basically showing commitment to the PADI program. MSD gets you a few more points.

Personaly I have not bothered.

Jonathan

It looks to me like you already have the requisites to apply for a PADI Master Scuba Diver card - essentially you won't be gaining much in gaining the card - you have done the gaining in doing the specialities and in getting out there and DIVING!

If you want to do more training in the PADI system, then head for the Dive Master course....BUT....ask questions of the dive centre you are doing it with. I have seen DMs trained in like two weeks. you are not even close to being a DM in two weeks in my opinion such as it is.

Ask how often you will get to work with students - especially open water students. IMHO learning to work with people who have never done this sport before is an excellent experience. You'll see things you never would have believed, learn to work with almost anyone, discover new (and hopefully better) ways to approach various situations etc. I would also look for a lot of dives in the course - you should be looking for a shop that will give you experience with everything from Open Water, Advanced, Rescue, Specialties and Certified Divers of all levels.

Basically i am saying look for a training facility that will get you out there in real life situations so you can actually learn. Watching the videos and reading the book is fine, but as you have already discovered, getting out and getting wet is the best bet to improve your diving skills :)

Just my two cents.

Divemaster certification will enable you to work with divers and groups. Master Diver will not allow you to do the same.

As far as I understand, having done all these specialties, Master Diver will not benefit you too much.

Divemaster, on the other hand, will add a new angle to your diving, by better understanding the needs and requirements of a group of divers. It will also enable you to work as a DM, if you wish to.

Ari :)

DanL once bubbled...
Find myself very much into diving after 1-1/2 yrs and nearly 150 dives in all sorts of conditions. Completed thru PADI Rescue Diver and 6 specialties, mostly just to keep learning. Looking back, have sent a lot of money to PADI, have learned alot along the way, but not sure that the learning/$ spent was a great value (good, but not great).
What is the Master Scuba Diver rating? How much, and is it worth it? Don't hear much about this step.
I'm somewhat familiar with Divemaster rqmnts and cost, but not sure if that's the best next step.
What are some additional worthwhile training opportunities where the learning/$ spent ratio is high? My interests are cold water (out of necessity), longer dives, Lake Superior wrecks and carribean drift diving.
Thoughts appreciated....

Master scuba diver isn't a course. It's just a card that gives you a pat on the back for doing a lot of specialities. If you're interested in the knowledge and being a good diver it's usless to you. If you are prone to expounding about your achievements to the point of boring people or you are very proud of your achievements and you want others to know without having to tell them then this card is for you.

The next logical step in your training is Dive Master. Since you indicated that you would like to go longer and get in to wreck diving you might consider a beginning "tek" like course such as the IANTD advanced nitrox. Also I've never taken a DIR-F class but people (even very experienced divers) speak very positively of this course. That might be another option at this point.

R..

What the others have said is true, the PADI Master Diver Certification is not a course. Anything you would gain from it is what you've already gained from the courses you've already taken.

OTOH, other agencies actually have Master Diver courses. NAUI has Master Diver that is an actual class. YMCA has Gold Master Diver that is an actual course. You'll have to check on the other agencies, I'm not familiar enough with others to know. If you are interested in learning more, you might consider a different Master Diver route.

Master Diver, to me, seems to be just paying some cash into PADI to get a card that says "Master Scuba Diver" on it.

You fill out a form with all the specialty courses you've taken, attach a check, and a few weeks later you get your card. No training, no additional knowledge, you just get another card to stuff into your logbook. Woo.

If you want knowledge, become a Divemaster. You won't learn anything except how to work with the beaurocratic process and part with your cash.

If you want to bone up for the professional ranks, take the NAUI MD course. It's required by NAUI for all AI, DM (s)
which the prerequisite is:

Diver Certification. Certification as NAUI Master Scuba Diver and NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver or their equivalent. Divers with evidence of equivalent training and experience may be enrolled provided they pass the NAUI Master Scuba Diver written examination with a minimum score of 75%.

MD has 8 required dives but the material is the meat of the course.

tony

With all the PADI dissenters who've commented here no one mentioned this. After you've paid for and completed, absorbed, and proved your mastery of all the specialties, rescue, MFA/EFR, AOW, OW - by all standards you are a PADI Master Scuba Diver - except you lack one very important thing. And per PADI you're no MSD without it. You see you don't have that little piece of plastic that says Master Scuba Diver.

To get that little guy you've got to send in:
Application completed in full (more paperwork).
Proof of prerequisite specialty completed information (more paperwork).
Applicant and instructor's signature (on the paperwork).
Photo attached (more paperwork).

And most important of all, you've got to send in:

MORE MONEY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom