Gulf Coast Dive Reccomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As your travels take you through the Florida west coast, stop at Florida Underwater Sports Florida Underwater Sports - Home in Sarasota. They can arrange local dive charters and take care of all of your equipement/repair/service and fill needs.

If its been awhile since you have been to Panama City Beach, I think we are worth visting just to checkout the new Pier Park and Frank Brown Aquatic center,a city run olympic pool and kiddy play area if you don't want to get salty. Nevermind all the wreck diving offshore, springs an hour North of town or St Andrews State park.

Disclaimer
I run a scuba charter and am promoting my own area, so I have a conflict of interests, none the less those are some of the reasons I decided to settle here.

Panama City is on the agenda (wrecks, and Morrison spring if it's open, maybe Vortex.)
I'm looking for dives from Tampa and up. I do Venice regularly from shore, but up north to Pensacola is unknown to me.
So, oil rigs in the gulf, Flower Garden banks, and so on are thigs I know of. Need more ideas.

Pensacola has many good operators and over 100 charted sites to choose from in addition to the Oriskany.

Same disclaimer as PatMyGreen, I'm one of the operators. Check us out as you make your plans. We'd love to see ya.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany

Panama City is on the agenda (wrecks, and Morrison spring if it's open, maybe Vortex.)
I'm looking for dives from Tampa and up. I do Venice regularly from shore, but up north to Pensacola is unknown to me.
So, oil rigs in the gulf, Flower Garden banks, and so on are thigs I know of. Need more ideas.

For diving the Flower Gardens check out M/V Fling and M/V Spree, both run out of Freeport ,TX and do weekend trips to the Flower Gardens and Stetson rock. There are a couple of charter boats that do rig trips out of Galveston (none coming to mind at the moment) where the biggest #'s of rigs are. Tell them ya wanna dive either Bucanneer Field or A20, don't waste your time with the VA Fogg.

Cool, good ideas.
As for Pensacola, I know it's not a considered an exciting dive, but I want to see the Massachusetts. I have a thing for old Navy ships. And it's the only diveable pre-Dreadnought anywhere in the world. (As far as I know.)
I will contact the Fling and Spree (Are they the same operator?).

Any ideas about the Louisiana area?

We do the Massachusetts on a regular basis and it is the best shallow water wreck dive in the country IMO

Ditto algulfdiver's comment. The Mass is an awesome dive. It is a particularly incredible night dive, as you can spend forever just poking around the nooks and crannies. usually lots of octopi, an occasional nurse shark, Stargazers (which can shock you into next week) and tons of other stuff. You can look at the armor belt that protected the ship and lots of other interesting stuff. It's a Marine Preserve and, as you suggest, old, Navy and unique. Come see it.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom