How much lift with cords tied down? (REC wing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Happy

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm 6feet and the Travel wing will be too short. No hardplates for Venture wing. Will a Rec wing be ok with the cords tied down? How much lift can this result from.. Also, will inflation/deflation be the same?

I'm thinking the Rec will be more handy if I decide to use 2 small single80s later on vs having 2 different wings.

Thank you,
Nat
(Warm water, full wetsuit, singleA80tank)

It remains the same. The bungies will expand enough so that the wing can be inflated fully.

the K

It remains the same. The bungies will expand enough so that the wing can be inflated fully.

the K

Will this setup be OK for someone with my height? or should I go with the venture?

Depends upon how much weight you require to be neutral at the end of your dive.

Remember, a bladder needs to be able to support the rig at the surface without the presence of the diver.

If you're diving a 6 or 7mm neoprene full suit with hood and gloves and require a lot of weight to be slightly negative at the end of the dive at your safety stop, a smaller lift bladder may not be off sufficient lift to support your rig with a full tank.

I'm sure there are others who will jump in here with conflicting recommendations, but I always tend to err toward the "more" side of things.

the K

Will this setup be OK for someone with my height? or should I go with the venture?

Hello Mr. Happy!

Thanks for the inquiry. My recommendation is to go with the Venture wing. It has 45 lbs of lift (almost as much as the Rec at 50) and will support your height. The Rec wing is a great wing and is designed for diving double tanks with the occasional jaunt on a single. I know a lot of divers dive the Rec with a single tank only, but that's not its intended purpose and this practice can lead to trim issues. While it would be great to find "one wing that does it all", I think you will find yourself much happier with a wing designed for doubles when you decide to make that transition in your diving.

The Venture can be worn with a TransPac (soft plate) or metal backplate. Your choice.

To play with more options and get more information, check out our Solution Finder article titled "What type of wing is right for me?" I think that will help a lot. SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Solution Finder

Let me know if I can help any further.

Cheers!
Kathleen

My apologies, Mr Happy !!!

It had slipped my mind that the new version of the "Venture" wing has considerably more lift than the previous version.

The new "Venture" should suit your purposes just fine.

I have an older version of the "Venture" and love it for singles.

Very trim and slim.

the K

No problem The K, and thank you Kathleen for your help and info.. Venture it is!
Nat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom