advice for a newbie ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stained91109

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, first off I am looking into every possbile option to pursue diving as a lifelong career. One option I uncovered was for an organization called Scubazoo. They were hiring for a video diver and a camera diver. This seemed like a great opportunity to be in the water alot, and also see many locations... I believe they are based out of Malaysia. How difficult is it to learn how to take great underwater pictures? Basically I am wondering how much of it is natural talent and how much is aquired skill. Should I look into going to school for it or learn on my own? Also what would be a good moderately priced rig for HD video to get started. Lights and all complete kits that I saw were ranging from 8-16k. Is that about right? Any help you guys could lend would be greatly appriciated.

If you've never shot underwater video, then you will have somewhat of a learning curve.
As for a school, depending on your location, their may be someone that teaches a video class close by and there are also some dvd's available that might give you a good idea of what you should expect. Annie Crawleys, Your Guide to Creating Underwater Video, would be a good one to start with.
A lot of the "skill" comes from shooting as much as possible. The more you shoot, the more you will learn what to do, but sometimes more importantly, what not to do. No amount of schooling will make up for a lot of experience.
As for pricing; full packages start out at around $4000.00 for a camera like the HDR-HC9 and can easily top close to $20,000.00 with something like the Panasonic HVX200. Both have pros and cons, but it all depends on the amount of money and time you want to invest.
I currently use Gates XH A1 and HVX200 housings. Both are great units.

What are they wanting to do with the video you shoot? trip dvd's, business promotion, web, etc.
The answer to this question would probably help pinpoint what might be best for your situation.

In clear water you could use the L & M Stingray with a HC3, HC5, HC7*, or similar cameras. If your doing customer dives maybe lights for the night dive?

You should take a few classes on editing and camera use to get a good jump on it! There are basic shots used by travel log videographers and resort shooters! Videomaker (See bottom of this page:Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services) I would as with most jobs have all the tools they are looking for in order to get hired! Good luck!

Ok, first off I am looking into every possbile option to pursue diving as a lifelong career. One option I uncovered was for an organization called Scubazoo. They were hiring for a video diver and a camera diver. This seemed like a great opportunity to be in the water alot, and also see many locations... I believe they are based out of Malaysia. How difficult is it to learn how to take great underwater pictures? Basically I am wondering how much of it is natural talent and how much is aquired skill. Should I look into going to school for it or learn on my own? Also what would be a good moderately priced rig for HD video to get started. Lights and all complete kits that I saw were ranging from 8-16k. Is that about right? Any help you guys could lend would be greatly appriciated.

It sounds like you are asking about becoming a paid videographer for a dive op. Correct?
I would say that you need to get some serious diving under your belt for several reasons. As a newbie, you are probably not the best on air consumption and not good enough to dive solo as most videographers do..... Most are DMs also, doing dual duty with a dive op.
Next, there is alot to learn about underwater topography, fish behaviors, knowing the fish in the area, etc. that make up good underwater videos. There's also a great deal of "art" involved with editing. You can't learn that in a week or two, it is going to take some time and lots of dives - learning from your mistakes.

If this is really your dream, go for it, but you need a few years as a diver (to become safe enough to be distracted by shooting) and then time as a videographer (to learn the camcorder and editing skills) before you attempt to become a Pro.

Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

It sounds like you are asking about becoming a paid videographer for a dive op. Correct?
I would say that you need to get some serious diving under your belt for several reasons. As a newbie, you are probably not the best on air consumption and not good enough to dive solo as most videographers do..... Most are DMs also, doing dual duty with a dive op.
Next, there is alot to learn about underwater topography, fish behaviors, knowing the fish in the area, etc. that make up good underwater videos. There's also a great deal of "art" involved with editing. You can't learn that in a week or two, it is going to take some time and lots of dives - learning from your mistakes.

If this is really your dream, go for it, but you need a few years as a diver (to become safe enough to be distracted by shooting) and then time as a videographer (to learn the camcorder and editing skills) before you attempt to become a Pro.

Just my 2 cents.

robin:D
Yes That is exactly what I was considering. I plan on being in Fl by AUG for school so there should be no shortage of dive opportunities. I am however a "poor college student". Never the less I think I may be able to affoard a "cheap" rig to get a feel for it. All in all your advice has been helpful. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom