Buying it Once...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hellohello ,

I'm jus' starting my cert classes, but I've been lurking here at SB for some 6mos. or so. I'm looking for some suggestions for a buy-it-one-time, do-it-all BC. Something that I can dive single-tank recreationally, but then still have the potential to do doubles and tech/wreck diving a few years from now when I feel I'm ready for it.

I dont mind paying a little more if it means I only have to buy it Once.

I understand that I may still need to buy an additional, 2-tank wing at some future date , but that seems unavoidable and a relatively small expense vs. buying a complete new rig.

When I first started looking on here (SB) I thought perhaps a Seaquest Balance... but now I'm looking at a few diff "tech" rigs... AL's Apeks rig, Hollis, perhaps one of the comfy-looking Transpacs (with pads and "rec-looking" stuff).

I'm fairly certain that my BC will be THE biggest purchase I make initially as I'm leaning towards the Titan LX Supreme reg-wise (reasonably priced), I'm thinking of a budget of $500-$700 for a complete rig ( + any add ons, pouches, etc.)

If you were to Buy it Once , and not rule out any particular Kind of diving, which BC would YOU buy to get the Most for your Diving Dollar ? ? ?

thx,

M

......If you were to Buy it Once , and not rule out any particular Kind of diving, which BC would YOU buy .....

Zeagle... been a happy zeagle diver (zeagle tec) for 10yrs now (ever since i dumped my lds recommended badly fitting & not suitable n00b purchased tusa imprex).

drysuit, tropics or sydney semi dry my zeagle tec worked fantastic and ive recently started diving a bpw (zeagle also) i got to say bpw first! :wink:

Im in the same boat as you. Already had my LDS/instructor order me a Zeagle Ranger LTD. For where i want my diving to go, doubles, tech, ect... that was the only one he recommended. He said stay away from a bp/w setup initially. Dive a few years in the ranger first, then transition.

You might look at a Zeagle Ranger.....great all-around bc for the money. Will be a great bc to take you thru serious sport diving from single cylinder configuration to basic doubles. I persl. dive a Zeagle Tech Pac and just love it.

Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer

For starters, any singles BP/W rig (you can add a doubles wing later on should you need it).

Doesn't rule out any type of diving, but does enhance the whole diving experience feeling. In particular, DSS has excellent quality products and superb customer service.

My first BC was a BP/W. I did my training (OW/AOW) in a jacket, I never found the transition anything but easy. I'd start w/ a small wing for singles I now use the smallest one DSS (17lb lift)makes. I started with a Trek as a compromise It's just too taco'd for a single tank. Go straight to the BP/W.

If you are looking for a BC that will do both rec and tech diving a BP/W is definately the way to go. I reccomend the DSS set-ups as some of the best out there but Dive Rite, Zeagle and others are good also.

Zeagle Ranger has my vote as well.

Opinions vary...I have a Zeagle 911 (65lb lift) which I use mostly with singles...but I can (and have) convert it to doubles if need be. You have to have a backplate or double support braces and a set of wing retention bands to go doubles and those are not supplied with the base BC. Honestly for doubles I have a BP/W setup (DiveRite Transplate setup). I will probably buy a single tank wing for the BP/W and stay with that, as I have put the Zeagle up for sale on the classifieds here. Great BC but since I find myself always using the BP/W I might as well let it go to someone who will use it.

While opinons vary (and of course taking your physical size and body type into account may change it)...the Ranger LTD comes with a 44 lb lift wing...and that is in the gray zone for a larger set of doubles (say 119's) when you start carrying stage bottles, etc.etc. You can put higher capacity wings on, but in terms of Zeagle BC's, they will have to be Zeagle Wings designed for their BC's. Having said that, and having personal experience with them, I will tell you that you would be hard pressed to find anyone with better customer service than Zeagle, although I have found DiveRite to be just about as good in terms of customer service. Both are very easy to deal with and very helpful.

Being quite candid...your question was "If I were only going to buy it once..." then my answer would be BP/W, and Zeagle does BP/W's as well.

... I'm looking for some suggestions for a buy-it-one-time, do-it-all BC. Something that I can dive single-tank recreationally, but then still have the potential to do doubles and tech/wreck diving a few years from now when I feel I'm ready for it...

If you were to Buy it Once , and not rule out any particular Kind of diving, which BC would YOU buy to get the Most for your Diving Dollar ? ? ?

For me it would definitely be a BP/W. Zeagle makes great stuff, and I and the rest of my family were/are Zealge owners (mostly rangers and concepts), but IMO the BP/W is more adjustable and adaptable than the Ranger.
The backplate itself is truely a "buy it once item", the plate will probably outlast you. The harness has no size limits, and can be completely replaced in 10mins for $10-$15.
The wing can be changed out and the configuration changed (d-ring placement, etc.) for any type of diving you want to do.

There are many good brands to look at: DSS, Oxycheck, Halcyon, Zeagle, Hollis, etc.
Good Luck in your search.

Back
Top Bottom