Jupiter recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattasquan

Registered
Reaction score
My son and I will be in Jupiter this weekend. We only have about 20 dives each since getting certified. Never dove off a boat, only shore dives. Are we too inexperienced to drift dive? Which outfit would cater best to newbies? Jupiter Dive, Scuba Shack or Scuba Club? Any guide we could hire to do a nearby shore dive? Thanks for any info you could share!!

I like Jupiter Dive Center with capt. Paul, and the Temptation.

If you are worried about air consumption, or deep profiles, you may want to head south, and do WPB which has shallower profiles. Most of the profiles in Jupiter are flat, and at about 80'. I would recommend Nitrox for these, but you can do it on air, you just don't get a ton of BT.

As for drift diving, I would say most newish divers find drift diving enjoyable, and it does not take a lot of experience, but this also depends on your comfort level in the water to begin with.

There is no shore diving in Jupiter that I am aware of. The reefs are miles from shore.

There is shore diving in Lauderdale By the Sea (LBTS). However I'd say to either try Jupiter, or do WestPalmBeach, or Boynton, and experience some boat and drift diving. Most Ops out of all these area's provide guided dives, but ask first.

Enjoy the trip, and safe diving! :D

I second Jupiter Dive and they are usually pretty accommodating about who's aboard as far as depth and what you want to see. Usual profile seems to be around 70'. Splashdown divers in Boynton beach usually go a little shallower if depth is a concern but it depends on the site they're on. There are a number of Dive Ops out of Riveria Beach as well, but I haven't gone there much.

There is a decent shore dive at Blue Heron Bridge that I thought would be awful before I tried it (under a bridge? C'mon...) but actually has real cool stuff there. Spotted Eagle rays, Lobster, Angelfish, Spades, Batfish and Scorpions, and tons of macro life too. Blue Heron Bridge

Granted I started on drift diving, but to me its easier. Stick with the DM while you're down since he's carrying the flag (the current carries you over the same ledge regardless so why not?) and when its time to come up, you surface, inflate your safety sausage and the Valet...I mean boat Captain comes to pick you up. Its effortless and you only have to fin to stay out of another divers path while the current carries you.

If you're interested in BHB, its a 23' max depth easy shore dive, and I'll probably head there Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Looks like the tides are 2:30pm and 3:30pm respectively so if you're interested let me know, and I'll show you around if I'm there.

I dive Jupiter and West Palm on a regular basis. With the experience you have, I think you might be better served at The Scuba Club in West Palm Beach. They do 1 tank trips during the week and on Saturday, Sunday they do a 2 tank trip. They have at least 2 divemasters in the water and usually a 3rd just to be sure they are around if anyone needs help. I find JDC a great outfit, but more geared tword divers who dont need much in the way of attention. Either way you go, you will be in the hands of capable and professional outfits. Just relax and enjoy!

I also recommend Jupiter Dive Center for newer divers, they are pretty good at accomodating all types of divers. I also agree with Cid about sticking with the DM, sometimes JDC has two in water DM's (no need to hire a guide). Their boats are rather large and roomy and most folks that dive with them and the others in Jupiter are very friendly and helpful. Just my couple pennies worth.

Thanks for all the info. Got to love this board! I'm going to stop by the Scubaclub on my way from the airport and check em out. I think I'll try both them and JDC this week and post my trips when I get home.

Hey El Cid, we'd love to check out the bridge. Saturday or Sunday would be great!

We only have about 20 dives each since getting certified. Never dove off a boat, only shore dives. Are we too inexperienced to drift dive?

I had the same concerns about drift diving in a similar scenario but we had done a few anchored boat dives. My daughter and I had 15 dives each; max depth of about 40 feet on our 6 shore (quarry) dives and ranged from 16 to 30 feet on our 9 boat dives (shallow trips; all but two were with snuba or snorkelers onboard). I was looking into a trip to Cozumel and was concerned about both the drift diving and the depths there.

After the trip, I have to say I love drift diving! We had a dive master in the front and another behind the group in Cozumel and if they do something similar, that definitely helps put your mind at ease. I would assume some of the more experienced divers onboard will be happy to give you some tips.

In my opinion, one of the best things about drift diving is you aren't swimming as much and so you use less air and get more bottom time. I still suck way too much air:lotsalove:, but once I relaxed a bit, I could see a huge improvement in my SAC rate. Just float along and enjoy the scenary - its awesome!:popcorn:

I like Jupiter Dive Center with capt. Paul, and the Temptation.

Paul went first and the boat was replaced soon afterwards.

Jupiter diving is in the 75 foot range and best enjoyed using Nitrox and a computer. If you don't have them, you may prefer diving at Boynton or West palm Beach that is in the 55-60 foot range. More bottom time, you know.

Jupiter Dive Center is a great dive center. They taught me how to dive and I like the staff they are great people. They run dives almost everyday depending on the weather.

There are some great spots to dive just right off the Jupiter Coast some of the best reef diving in the world.

Paul went first and the boat was replaced soon afterwards.

Can you or anyone that dives with JDC on a regular basis please elaborate. The Temptation was my favorite ride out of Jupiter. Where is the Temptation now? Is it still being used as a dive charter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom