underwater construction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering taking a course in underwater construction
and wonder if anyone has any experiences they would like to share. Right now it is just a thought because I am taking construction at a vocational school for a career change but at another campus they have the marine training center and they have divers courses there. Is this a job that is nee-
ded in our society?I don't want to work offshore oil rigs or anything. But in local waters is there much work in this field?I have been recreational diving for about 1 1/2 yrs. I have open water,advanced,and nitrox certs.Hope someone has something to add to help me make my decision.Thanks in advance. Les

ps: I live in Vancouver,B.C. Canada if location helps in any suggestions

Les,
Try doing a search for commercial diving or working underwater. You can find some forums similar to this one that deal strictly with commercial diving. There is quite a bit of inland commercial diving being done. It helps to have construction knowledge and experience. Many complain of low wages poor working conditions and being a surface tender for quite awhile before getting underwater to work. I'm not sure how steady the work is so maybe a second job would be in order at least early on. Most of the work is done in very low visibility ie less than 1 foot or by "braille".

Try the web under commercial.It's dangerous work and I
've heard that it is a short career on average (10yrs) due to decompression and bone joints.A commercial medical involves all you bone joints being xrayed and checked again every year or 2 as the nitrgen eats at the bone joints.I can't think of the name at the moment but they have advertised here in New Zealand.Worth a shot.
Cheers ears,
The gasman

wow thanks people. Did not know about the severity that this can have on ones body.The schools don't tell about this stuff.they make it sound like all the joys of diving and getting payed for it.hmmmm.thanks for the input. Les

I spent several years working inland marine construction prior to heading off to the offshore oilfields; here is the long & the short of it:

> The work can be very challenging. Typical jobs include u/w burning, cofferdam construction, pipeline installation/inspection, u/w forming, hydroelectric dam inspection/repair, hull inspection/repair & numerous other tasks.

> Most of the work is in low to no visibility; more often than not there is current to contend with; alot of work is done in the muddy bottom or in mid-water; if you plan to work Vancouver then cold water is another factor. This isn't about tropical reefs with pretty fish; we're talking long hours in the water doing hard labour in oftimes very polluted waters.

> You will start out as a "tender", which is more or less an apprenticeship. Your duties will include readying the job-site for diving, setting up & maintaining the surface-supplied diving apparatus ( compressor, filters, back-up air supply, dive control rack, radio, dive helmets etc., etc.), preparing all necessary tools for use in the water, dressing the diver & standby diver, tending the diver's hose & operating any machinery involved in topside support. In time, with hard work, you'll start to get in the water.

> The bone degeneration is called "dysbaric osteonecrosis". You can read all about it & practically everything else related to diving medicine by visiting scubadoc's website @ http://www.scuba-doc.com/chrbone.htm

> In Vancouver there is unionized diving work to be had IF you can get into the union; if not, the pay for an experienced inland construction diver rivals that of the surface const. trades. Some jobs include completion bonuses, there is often penetration pay when inspecting pipeline/sewers/intakes etc.. Remuneration packages vary from contractor to contractor so do your homework.

> Safety is job #1 for the legitimate contractor but the risks are there as in all construction endeavours. Be diligent in your work & pay attention to whats going on around you. The diver's well-being is largely dependent on the actions or inaction of the surface crew.

> Finally, I'd say on average, the best commercial oilfield divers "cut their teeth" in marine construction/salvage work prior to going offshore. You become the proverbial "jack of all trades". Commercial diving is all about what you can do in the water, getting to the job ("diving") is the easier part. Having a mechanical or construction inclination is a must, if you don't like to work with your hands, don't try to become a working diver.

To learn more about construction diving, contact the "Canadian Working Divers Institute" @ cwdi@oncomdis.on.ca

I hope I've been some help. Good luck!

D.S.D.

D.S.D.

Very impressive thumbnail of an interesting topic. I am still amazed at the breadth of knowledge to be found on this board.

From all the great Docs to the technical gurus to the travel advice to the obscure. Glad I found this place.

Jimbo :)

thanks DSD.alot of excelent information.I appreciate the boards wealth of knowledge.I will be investigating further with this new information.thanks Les

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom