trigger attact not tiger attact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reef roamer

Registered
Reaction score
omg, my brother in law comes to sunny Florida from Arkansas for his open water dives in west palm . first dive in the ocean, trigger fish comes up to him, looks him in the mask, he thinks ; this is cool ; then goes around and attacks his ear, ouch/ :rofl3::rofl3:
now the two are going around in circles and it bites him again, same ear.. now noticing the green blood, and not knowing what it was, his instructor realizes what is happening.
gives him the surface signal , they ascend and so did the fish all the way to the top.
needless to say the blue the 3 min safety stop. ear is ok, instructor was quite concerned but no one could keep a strait face. still trying to shrink the photo:confused:

Attachments

• stevens ear.jpg
    stevens ear.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 80
You need to have him read Hell Divers Rodeo :wink: Hope he heals quickly!
Ber :lilbunny:

he should get used to it. diving in AR can be danagerous with the killer brim in the quarrys and lakes. I have come up several times with bloody ears.

omg, my brother in law comes to sunny Florida from Arkansas for his open water dives in west palm . first dive in the ocean, trigger fish comes up to him, looks him in the mask, he thinks ; this is cool ; then goes around and attacks his ear, ouch/ :rofl3::rofl3:
now the two are going around in circles and it bites him again, same ear.. now noticing the green blood, and not knowing what it was, his instructor realizes what is happening.
gives him the surface signal , they ascend and so did the fish all the way to the top.
needless to say the blue the 3 min safety stop. ear is ok, instructor was quite concerned but no one could keep a strait face. still trying to shrink the photo:confused:

In light of your brother-in-law's ear-mauling encounter with a Trigger Fish, we should rename Trigger Fish "Tyson Fish!"

We have had a couple of Queen Trigger fish (Tyson fish:)) at the Florida Aquarium that think they are sharks. They patrol the place like they own it. We have to keep an eye on them because they will come up to us and just stare us down like they are about to attack. A few divers have had unprovoked bites on their legs and hands. We even had to wear hoods for a little while to avoid getting bite on our ears and heads.

Never heard or had a problem with them in open water.

They are known as the "Pirahna of the Sea"... Hell Divers Rodeo

Definitely a good read.

Dave

Trigger fish are MEAN little critters!

I was 'gifted' a couple of them for my marine fishtank years and years ago by someone who was dismantling their aquarium. The little creeps would bite the bloody hell outta my arm every time I reached in to clean the darn tank! A four to five inch fish, taking giant chunks outta my arm! Arrgh. I /still/ have scars from it.

Big, mean fish with teeth = Oww.

:rofl3:

yikes!

in the tropics we have titan trigger fish and they are huge! one lady i know had a chunk taken out of the back of her leg by one of them

I love how they look though! One of my favorite fish for color, though they've always been really skittish when I've seen them. I guess I've been lucky then. At the end of the behavior description in Wikipedia (which talks about how aggressive they can be) it said this:

"Some species of triggerfish are known to make a sound akin to a grunt or snarl when taken out of the water".

That made me laugh, sounds like the pit bull of fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom