Keys Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltysupply

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In june I will be in marathon for a week and we have rented a 25 foot center console, we planned on doing alot of fishing but would like to try some dives as well. What tips can you provide when diving from your own boat, any tips you can give just to make it go smoothly:)

Will be 2 of us in the water and 2 on deck since we 2 are the only divers on the trip.

You made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. IMO, sounds like a problem waiting to happen from a safety standpoint. Is at least 1 of the 2 riders remaining on deck trained to use and navigate the boat, for whatever reason, and also knows how to use the radio you'll have on the boat? Which of the 2 (non-certified scuba) persons remaining on deck can don scuba gear (the set staying on the boat, along with the spare full tank and O2 kit) and come to your aid should you have trouble? During your listed 0-24 logged dives, how many of them were done in the same location you intend to dive this time?

Again, IMO, I suggest you go with a dive charter instead of DIY diving. Much safer.

I totally agree with you....we really just wanted to try some shallow 20ft or so reefs but maybe we will just do some freediving

In june I will be in marathon for a week and we have rented a 25 foot center console, we planned on doing alot of fishing but would like to try some dives as well. What tips can you provide when diving from your own boat, any tips you can give just to make it go smoothly:)

Will be 2 of us in the water and 2 on deck since we 2 are the only divers on the trip.
Get real friendly with current (up to date) charts for that area and carry them with you. Grill the local boaters for advice navigating those waters. Take a hand held GPS if the boat isn't so equiped. (It probably will be.) Don't rush. Check for current before jumping in. Secure your gear before leaving the dock. Polarized sunglasses. Lots to drink and eat. Have adequate line to anchor or moor. The boat will probably also have a swim platform. If not buy a portable ladder. I used to tie ropes in the reboarding area to use as handholds. They can be especially useful in choppy seas. Maybe a couple of lines with clips to hang over the side; you can take your gear off and hook it to these lines and climb aboard easier, then haul the gear up. You should have a great time.

thanks for the advice, any good reefs around marathon I can tie up to...I know that there is one straight out from the 7 mile but not sure which one it is...sombrero maybe.?

thanks for the advice, any good reefs around marathon I can tie up to...I know that there is one straight out from the 7 mile but not sure which one it is...sombrero maybe.?
sombrero is straight off the bridge
just drive yer boat to the lighthouse :)

ok cool, just looked it up and found out it is, looks like a pretty laid back dive 20-35ft and full of coral

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom