Looking for my own equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbriskin

Registered
Reaction score
i am an intermediate diver, have logged about 100 dives max depth ~ 110 ft.
I get out once or twice a year and have always rented an want to take the plunge and get my own stuff.
I live in the boston area, have stated to look in some of the local shops and on leisurepro.com

I want a back inflated BCD also good regulator, ocotpus, computer, pretty much everything. I am trying to keep thsi in a resonable price range but any advice as to where to shop , what to look for is appreciated.

I looked at a scubapro balace that was reccomended in a local shop, hav eread about zeagle stilleto but the guy at the shop did not like the bladder system.

Any help would be appreciated in all these departments, also would by used if trustworthy.
thanks
Mike

......I looked at a scubapro balace that was reccomended in a local shop, have read about zeagle stilleto but the guy at the shop did not like the bladder system......

gggrrrrrrr - let me guess, the guy in the shop sells scubapro but not zeagle right? sorry but lds attitudes like that just pss me off

i can suggest scubatoys for some good pricing (and mention youre a SB member and you get 10% discount)

ive been diving zeagle for 10yrs and love the product and service

what sort of water will you be diving in? cold? tropical?

cheers

I am a legend and diverite fan on regs but to be honest, I think I would buy whats easier to get serviced in your area. But I know a bunch of people who use scubapro and well they are great too, cant argue that. When buying my gear I looked at ease of service and time frame of service. Dont want to be stuck several weeks without my gear.

I am a legend and diverite fan on regs but to be honest, I think I would buy whats easier to get serviced in your area. But I know a bunch of people who use scubapro and well they are great too, cant argue that. When buying my gear I looked at ease of service and time frame of service. Dont want to be stuck several weeks without my gear.

Well I'm a legend, too, but I don't go around bragging about it. :D

Good advice in that first sentence.

Well I'm a legend, too, but I don't go around bragging about it. :D

Good advice in that first sentence.
LOL, thought I got away with that one.

I settled on a set of Apex XTX50s, reg and octo, mid-range regs, something that I can use in cold water if I ever decide to go ice diving, breaths very easy and can be serviced everywhere.

I settled on a set of Apex XTX50s, reg and octo, mid-range regs, something that I can use in cold water if I ever decide to go ice diving, breaths very easy and can be serviced everywhere.

Apeks XTX50 regulators are actually high end regs that are commonly used in the tech diving community due to their reasonable cost and bulletproof reliability. I'm not sure I'd agree with the "mid-range" assessment of these regs. I use them on my doubles and love them. They breathe easier than my Mares MR22 Abyss from my singles rig.

Shane

You didn't tell us WHERE you dive, which makes a difference.

If you do your diving a couple of times a year on vacation, in warm water, where you're using little exposure protection and minimal weight, there are a lot of back-inflate BCs that will meet your needs. My husband loved his SeaQuest Balance, in part because it had trim pockets that allowed him to distribute the weight he did need so that he could dive in horizontal trim.

If you are doing any local diving, you may want a different setup. It's the same with regs . . . If you are doing tropical diving, you won't worry about things like environmental sealing or cold water performance. My husband and I bought Aqualung Titans for our first regs, and I still think that was an excellent decision, and they have performed very well for us.

So give us a little more information, and we'll give you better advice.

(Although the bottom line is, buy a backplate and wing and long hose now, and save yourself a great deal of grief.) And that's a JOKE

Thanks for the advice, i am pretty much a warm water diver, I would not but equipment on the asumption that i might try new england diving, if I do and need to rent for that then fine.
Mainly lookinf for function, ergonomics, ease of use and effect air dumping.

While taking my OW course (which seemed like a sales pitch from start to finish) the lds owner sold both zeagle and scubapro, and seemed to think the zeagle ranger was the best of them. I ultimately chose a bp & w from another shop and showed up with it at the ow dive-but that's a whole nother thread. I love the bp & w though.

Back
Top Bottom